For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My magic Apron




I have decided that I love aprons. They make me feel like I'm actually in control of my home. (Which is ironic, since home schooling is pretty messy in my book.) Whenever I think of the best mothers, they always have aprons on. It's homey and comforting, and it actually energizes me in a strange way to deep clean and cook great dinners. In a strange, inexplicable way it makes me feel productive when I wear it, no matter what I am doing. 

I bought an apron this summer that I adore. I love the gentle humor. 




Here is the song to which it refers. I feel like I need a reminder to serve every now and then. 

I keep thinking that I need to raise the bar of my own expectations regarding my mothering skills. I only have one chance to raise my children, and there is no 'rewind' button. Really, I spend too much time reading and ignoring the mounting messes and ignoring the clock that reminds me it's time to cook dinner. When this happens I'm very frustrated with myself. 

When I'm feeling blue, I put on my apron and suddenly I feel endowed with something akin to magic powers. I feel like I have increased patience and compassion for my children, increased energy and cheerfulness, etc. In a silly way, it makes me want to sing while I clean.  I know it sounds odd, but I sing when I'm doing the chores I hate the most. It's impossible to remain frustrated when I sing hymns or even "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (Which is Daniel's most-requested song). I love the way it changes a tedious task into something joyful. 

6 comments:

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

I love aprons! I usually just buy a 3 pack at Sams (pretty boring) but I keep thinking I'll get to the point of getting a couple of witty or cute ones = ).
Looking forward to getting to know you through the HSV panel! "See you" tonight (hopefully- new to twitter!)

melanie said...

LOVE the apron!! :) It's almost like superman's cape!

I'm on the Homeschool Village panel with you. :) I'm looking forward to looking through your blog and getting to know you. :)

Erica said...

where did you get that apron? Maybe I'll see if one has the same magic for me. I remember loving wearing one in my Grandma's kitchen!

Rebecca said...

I love aprons, too....just bought one that is pine/white polka dot! Can't wait to get to know you better on the panel...loveyour blog and am following you now!

Amber said...

I love reading your posts. It's almost like we get to chat, even though we don't get to chat anymore! I love seeing what you ar doing with your family!

Brandi said...

I can totally relate to apron power! It is a great get-up-and-go motivator. I have several. I must admit I think I'm coveting yours! So cute =)