For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Video Ban

I had a shocking moment yesterday. I asked Matthew what his talents were. His first reply was "Playing the Wii." What?! I asked what else he likes to do for fun. I happen to know he plays outside a lot, creates a lot of art, cooks with Dad, plays the piano, and makes huge projects. I wondered which he would pick as his favorite activity. He said, "I just like playing video games and watching movies, Mom. Anything without a screen is bor-ing." Yikes!

I never thought I'd hear my children say this. I've always disliked it when children or families were stuck to a TV or stuck to video games. I had thought I had done a decent job of regulating their computer time with our bi-weekly "Screen-Free Days" and making sure the games and videos they watched were educational. But now I think if my kids can't think of a way to entertain themselves then that means they're losing their imaginations to the TV. As a result, I have imposed ban on any screens in the home for an extended period. No movies, no video games.

It's been a lovely day so far...the children are making pretend stories to act out while jumping on the trampoline. They've played the piano much more than normal and we've talked more.

What did we do for entertainment without TV today? Sarah made up a lovely pattern with tangram pieces while we enjoyed popcorn together and chatted. I am happy.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Great idea!

Nicol said...

My 3 yr old would become a TV junkie if I allowed it. We don't have dish/cable or even public TV. The only thing we can watch are DVDs. I'm okay with that (except that General Conf time). I have to limit what she watches and it's such a battle. I haven't tried screen free days, perhaps that will happen in the near future.