For a Quick Reference

Friday, September 17, 2010

Simple Things

I love the simple things in life that add richness to my day. I especially love the little treasures that my children cherish, like notes from grandparents carefully kept in shoe boxes, or iridescent exoskeletons from colorful beetles carefully kept in jars, or deer antlers kept on a shelf as a trophy, or the softest and prettiest feathers from our flock of chickens.

Daniel LOVES feathers. When he was two, he always had a feather in his hand. Literally. 

He ate at the dinner table with one hand while his other chubby fist held feathers, and he'd wash his hands one by one, transferring the feather as he went. There are countless nights I discovered his sweaty palm still clenched around feathers in his sleep. When other children picked blossoms for their mother, Daniel would bring me the pretty feathers. I'd keep them in a vase near the kitchen sink. I love the way he has helped me see the wonder of our world better.

No comments: