For a Quick Reference

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Think happy thoughts

Earlier this week I started a new painting and listened to the rain beat on the window in my art studio.

Actually my art studio is one corner of a room that also serves as an electrical engineering tinkering shop for Nathan (it share the same corner as my studio), a food storage room (the closet is full of non-perishable food), a storage room, and Sarah's temporary bedroom. I just love how luxurious it SOUNDS to say I was in my art studio.

I really enjoyed listening to the romantic sound of the rain, courtesy of Tropical Storm Hermine.

Flash forward several hours and it's a different story. Our city received almost a foot of rain in the last 2 days, and the rivers are flooding- some are 14 feet above capacity. Roads were flooded out and closed. Our home couldn't handle all the water and decided to welcome some of the deluge into our family room to join the family fun.

Now we have the pleasure of fixing a leaky roof, replacing a damaged wall, and replacing the carpet (which was flooded once before....it really needed to be replaced anyway.). I have the adventurous task of calling insurance companies, making a claim, and trying to get a contractor to come (which is no easy task right now- lots of homes were damaged in the storm, so I can't even get anyone to come even give an ESTIMATE until next week. They're swamped with work. Happy day for contractors!). That means Mr. Kingsley gets the delightful task of climbing onto the roof and nailing a tarp on it to hopefully prevent more damage in the coming thunderstorms this week.

I was sitting on the couch starring at the ruined wall last night, feeling a bit overwhelmed. We are expecting company any day, and I host book club and a home school co-op in our home next week. The house smells horrible.


I needed some happy thoughts. Here are some:

Daniel makes art to share with the neighborhood
Sarah and our Happy Birthday wreath
Delightful mangoes and colorful art

4 comments:

Nathan Kingsley said...

I think it's all very exciting.

We just fix the roof and wall- and we wanted to replace the carpet anyway we just get to do it sooner rather than later.

It's better than sitting around watching TV.

Unknown said...

You're funny.

I don't even watch TV.

Janine Pearce said...

If you need any help let me know. Is it the carpet in the area as you go in or in the back of the house. I love home projects.

Anonymous said...

It's a little scary about the flood but if there is any family ready for an emergency it's you guys. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear", that's y'all! I think you have prepared so well for these situations and regardless of the wall and roof, you are able to always feed your children and function in your home. Other's will understand your setbacks and admire you for your abilities. I wish I was there...I'd bring you a yummy smelling candle and a hug! ;)