For a Quick Reference

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mommy's treasure box

Sarah is often begging me to show her my 'treasures'. As far as she's concerned, it's one of the greatest adventures taking a walk down memory lane.  My treasure box is the oak hope chest my mom gave me when I turned 16 years old. It holds an eclectic collection of items that hold sentimental value for me, things like old ribbons and awards from competitions, old baby blankets, pictures from high school proms, my graduation cap and gown....you know, all those things that are technically considered worthless to the world, but they are priceless to me.  

Sarah opening the hope chest for her afternoon of fun.

Sarah loves looking at the collection of old baby dresses. My mom saved the prettiest dresses I wore when I was a baby, and Sarah loves looking at the tiny buttons and shoes. I remember marveling over these when I was her age, wondering how I ever could have been so small. I saved Sarah's two prettiest dresses, the kind full of too many ruffles and lace so there's not much space for the baby left. 

The other highlight for Sarah is to open the box holding my childhood unicorn collection. She unwraps each tissue-covered figure and admires them. When I was little I was obsessed with unicorns. My mom would give me a porcelain unicorn each Christmas. Another treasure is my bridal bouquet.


This is one of my favorite treasures. It's a corn husk doll Matthew made and gave to me. He accidentally gave it only one strand of yarn for hair, so he affectionately called the doll "Mr. One Hair". He made it two years ago when we did a home school field trip to a historic farm. We made these dolls under a huge tree while we learned about Texas history. He adored this little husk doll and took very good care of it, he even slept with it once.  We laugh every time we see this doll.

Mr. One Hair

No comments: