For a Quick Reference

Monday, September 20, 2010

Lazy Sunday

The view out my car window earlier this week
How was your Sunday? This is how my day went:

I felt very ill this morning, and tried futilely to go back to sleep, hoping the illness was merely a manifestation of sleep deprivation. Not so. When I awoke a bit later, I felt no improvement. My sweet husband fed the children breakfast and helped them get dressed for church while I laid in bed wishing I felt better. Daniel was also sick, so he was assigned the privilege of staying in bed with me all day. 

The rest of the family disappeared to church for a few hours while Daniel and I read books in bed. I'm really loving 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens. Surprisingly, I've never actually read it before. It's great, but I am very biased. I love this author. 

Daniel slept for 3 hours, which is unheard of. This child resents sleep and almost considers it a personal failure when he succumbs to its embrace. He must be pretty sick today to let this nap happen for so long. The house is silent and I relish hearing only the sound of crisp pages turning.

The family returned home and Matthew rushed to my bedside to kiss me and ask if I feel better. He's such a sweet boy. He chatters and tells me all about his lesson in Primary (thank you Primary teachers for caring about my son!). They learned about talents and sharing our talents with others. The family had a quiet lunch downstairs of enchiladas and Cafe Rio-style pork and salad (I don't actually know the name for whatever it was that we ate. We always just call it 'Cafe Rio' food). 

I missed my children all morning, so for the afternoon we played games together at the table. The children played the piano and filled our home with music while I read more of Dickens, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket on the couch next to my sleeping Mister. 

We read books together and play 'Sardines' (did you ever play that as a child? My kids love it!) and realize at bedtime that we've purely forgotten about dinner. Nathan made a wonderful meal catering to my day-long nausea in an attempt to entice my appetite. He made gourmet biscuits (I never thought such a thing existed, but it does. Just look in a Culinary Institute cookbook, it's there.) and let the children cut out biscuits in Halloween shapes. We ate witches, howling cats, bats, ghosts and pumpkins. We also had a stray Christmas tree biscuit. They had so much fun choosing what shape to use. The biscuits were perfect when topped with peach-blueberry jam.

He also made mashed potatoes with gravy. Sarah really enjoyed helping to chop the potatoes. I made fruit smoothies. We enjoyed our strange meal far past our bedtime. Inwardly I'm thankful that we don't have to rise early the next morning. We trooped upstairs for prayers and bedtime stories. Sarah read a book with Nathan in my bed for another half hour...I read my book in my rocking chair. It was a blissful evening. 


No comments: