For a Quick Reference

Saturday, April 24, 2010

I love my job

What can I say? I really love my job! Today I worked for the University of Texas Law School for an alumni reunion. This is a repeat client from last year. Today we were located outside under the majestic sprawling arms of ancient oak trees. The music was provided by a fantastic mariachi band (I love mariachi bands! I think that comes from growing up in Rexburg and being a host family to people from Mexico in the summers during the Fold Dance Festival. You just can't get much better that. Great memories!) Chuck, the characiter artist, paid the band to come play for our table. We really enjoyed getting a personal show of good music. With the slow flow of painting requests, I had 90 minutes of spare time to chat with the balloon artist and eat the yummy food.T he food was catered fajitas and catered cupcakes with homemade ice cream.


It's the easiest booking of the year. Although, I do think it's not fair for them to be paying me by the hour when only 4 kids show up to the event. I pointed this out to our client, and she laughed it off. I guess they are all lawyers with plenty of money to spare, but my work ethic was still screaming at me to spend the time actually working rather than eating and chatting, waiting for a customer. However, if I am pressed to pick which is better between A) a long line of tired children waiting for their turn or B) being paid even though there are almost no children to paint.....I definitely pick B. It was so laid-back and relaxing. Usually my bookings are very busy and pretty stressful.

Earlier this week I worked for a PayPal corporate party on Earth Day. It was really nice except for the rain, so they moved us inside the offices to set up. Along the way we passed through a break room so I could fill my water buckets in the sink. The room was packed with free food for the employees...baskets of muffins, granola bars, cold cereal dispensers in one corner, boxes of herbal tea varieties lined one wall, popcorn and crackers filled other shelves. Even the vending machines were complimentary! In the lounge were a Wii and foosball table. What a neat place! This was a pretty fun booking as well. The kids were very well-behaved and Amy's Ice Cream was catering bowls of delicious ice cream and candy.

I wanted to take pictures of the work from this week, but I figured that I shouldn't mess with taking pictures of lawyer's kids to post online. (Quick tangent....I painted the son of a lawyer whose name was 'Judge'.Really. I'm not making it up.)

Sometimes my job is stressful, but this week has been a fantastic week at work. I love it!

No comments: