For a Quick Reference

Monday, April 12, 2010

Historic clothing updates

After making Sarah a dress, chemise, pantaloons, apron, and bonnet; and making the boys and Nathan all shirts and pants, I'm finally starting my own 1860's dress. I started cutting the fabric today and the pattern is much more difficult than anything I've tried before. I'm feeling intimidated by it, but luckily I just discovered that one of my friends is an amazing seamstress (she made her own wedding dress! Wow!). I'm planning on calling her more than once throughout the duration of this project.

Today Nathan and I went to the fabric store and discovered that the discounted fabric was even additionally discounted. Happy luck! We went through the stacks of fabric until we found wool blends suitable for waistcoats for Nathan and the boys, and a beautiful pattern for a formal gown for Sarah (I'm thinking along the lines of late 1700's for this gown), and some homespun for a work-day pinafore for Sarah. The prices were only $1-$3 per yard! That means Sarah's ball gown would only cost $12. I'm so excited!

I'll post pictures of the progress when it becomes more interesting...piles of fabric aren't very interesting to any one except me. BUT, the fabric looks SO neat (especially Sarah's). The menfolk are looking forward to having their own waistcoats. So far we've been borrowing them from the custome shed at the farm. From what I gleaned in our history research, men would not be seen in public without a waistcoat, working men and boys included. It does a lot to make them look like gentlemen. I love it!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Wrong!!! Post the fabric. I love this and would love to see the fabric!