For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Adult tantrums

Recently I was talking on the phone with one of my sisters. As we shared advice, her toddler became needy. His frustration became a loud tantrum as he tearfully and loudly begged for help with his toy. We mused over the situation (after he was taken care of and settled down again). It's hard to take a toddler seriously when they get so angry. Really, what do they have to be angry about?

As parents, we provide everything for his comfort and safety. We give him food, keep him warm and protected from harm, we love him unconditionally, we encourage him and share his joy as he learns and grows. What do they have to get upset about? They don't do any work for themselves. His tantrum was regarding a toy phone that wouldn't do what he wanted it to. It didn't seem important to me, but his whole world was focused on this tiny trial, and he loudly complained and begged urgently for help.

I was struck with a similarity between this toddler and adults. I think we must be demanding in the same way in God's eyes. He gives us everything in life: our healthy bodies, our material needs are met, we are protected from harm, we are encouraged and loved unconditionally. Even with all these blessings that are openly given to us, I think we take them for granted, like the toddler who doesn't appreciate the work parents do just to feed him and keep him safe. I think we also weary the Lord with our tantrums when we experience adversity. When I experience a trial, I beg for help urgently and have a hard time being patient for answers. I weary the Lord with my prayers asking for direction or help. Sound familiar? My trials that seem to consume my energy must seem so insignificant to God, just like I thought it was silly for my nephew to get so worked up over a toy phone. In the eternal perspective of things, most of my trials really are unimportant and not worth the energy I give them.

It made me resolve to be more patient and less demanding of our Father. People often say 'grow up!' when someone acts childishly. I think I need to take that advice and spiritually grow up.

No comments: