For a Quick Reference

Friday, July 20, 2012

Horseplay in Idaho


Horses are always a highlight of any trip to visit Grandma and Grandpa Muir. 

After watching the Littles (that's what I call our children) have their fun, I was eager for a try.

I laced up riding boots and climbed into the saddle, happily inhaling the rich smell of saddle leather.

Visions of a peaceful jog through picturesque pastures danced in my mind as I gathered the reins and began to ride. 

I quickly found out this horse preferred children to adults. 

My ride (if it can be even called as much) lasted less than 5 minutes. 

She definitely did NOT want me on her back. 

After lots of tight circles and jumping starts and battles of will,  I was sufficiently frightened to hop off again.

My communion with nature ended in sheepishness (pun totally intended) as I handed the reins back to my Dad and let him take charge of this stubborn creature. 

For the remainder of our visit, I was happy to hand-feed her sweet grass and admire her from afar.




1 comment:

Gail said...

Yeah, Nature is always nicer in the abstract. Paintings of a forest evoke feelings of cool, magical glades with dryads. The reality involves hot, dirty bugs.

Diego looks so cute in that hat, though!