For a Quick Reference

Monday, July 9, 2012

72 hour kit for a toddler

I updated our family 72-hour kits this month. 

What foods did I find to pack for a toddler?

He wouldn't be able to handle most of the foods we packed into the adult bags. 

MREs would surely overload his little digestive system with food that is too rich and high in calories.

This is what I came up with:

One day of emergency food for a toddler 72-hour kit
Clockwise from the top:

                       Instant oatmeal is baby-friendly and easy for him to eat at breakfast.

Cheerios are for snacking between meals. I placed them in a re-used plastic container to prevent them from becoming a mountain of crumbs in the pack.

Next are organic wheat crackers. We really love the Annie's brand bunny crackers from Costco. They are healthy and perfect for snacking. Each day has a different variety of flavors.

Freeze-dried fruit is perfect for emergency kits. It's healthy, delicious, compact, and has a long shelf life.

Squeezable applesauce is portable and mess-free. We really like the GoGo Squeeze brand, also purchased from Costco. We stocked a few different flavors each day for variety.

HappyTot brand makes great squeezable baby foods. Here is where I incorporated servings of vegetables and meats. 

Last is a meal-replacement shake. I was thinking this could make up for any nutritionally deficient areas in the daily diet. My plan is to pour it into a sippy cup or bottle (which is packed into his kit already) to reduce spills. 

I packed more food than I thought he could eat each day so there was a large variety of foods for him to choose from. 

Toddlers get so distressed easily so I wanted to have plenty of foods to tempt his appetite. 

The meal-replacement shake was really my insurance that he would get some vitamins if he refused other foods. He loves almost anything we serve in a bottle or sippy cup, so I tried to pack in as much nutrition as possible there.

I really love the concept of squeezable food for emergencies.

I think it would be hugely stressful to try to spoon-feed a baby while evacuating by car or staying in a crowded shelter. 

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how you can tailor your kit to match your family needs. 

Happy prepping!




2 comments:

Gail said...

Great ideas...does this mean Diego is walking? I had a dream the other night where he was.

Unknown said...

Nah. Deigo is only psuedo-walking. Since I stock our 72-hour kits for the upcoming year, I'm anticipating what he'll need. Besides, his eating habits are almost identical to a toddler anyhow.