For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Random Happy Thoughts

Each time our sheriff's deputy passes our house, he beeps his sirens for a friendly 'hello!' that I can hear anywhere in the house. At first I didn't notice this, but he cheerfully pointed it out to me one week in church. It brightens my day to see him beep and wave as he passes by.

We shared some home made jam with a neighbor recently, so today she brought a bag of fresh pecans from her tree. I love simple tokens of love like this! Our family sat around the kitchen table cracking pecans and chatting for hours last weekend.

This year I am sewing fabric bags to use instead of gift-wrap paper. I wanted to go more 'green' with our annual celebrations. The biggest reason I'm doing this is that I have oodles of pretty fabric given to me and I couldn't think of what to do with it. Ta-Da! Gift wrap bags were a perfect solution! They are so easy to whip up so I get the satisfaction of instant gratification instead of laboring over a drawn-out tedious project (like the fort I'm sewing our kids for Christmas). It's also been a great opportunity for Sarah and Matthew to practice their sewing skills. It's almost impossible to mess these little bags up.

Diego does a quick little dance anytime he's excited about something. He'll bring me a water bottle  then dance in anticipation while I open it for him. I love it! He looks like a chubby puppy wagging his tail!

Today apple crisp is bubbling away in the oven for our after-school snack, potato soup is simmering on the stove for dinner, and yeasty rolls are rising on the counter. I've sewn gifts, written letters to family, played with our baby a LOT, and cleaned house. I've also stayed in bright blue polka-dot pajamas all day. I look like a poster child for 'white trash' but I've had SUCH a wonderful day!

Daniel builds snakes and snake houses with play dough
I hope your day is beautiful!

2 comments:

Angela S said...

We're doing home made bags this year too (got the idea from my mother in law) and I love them! They are marvelously easy to make (when you have a working iron that is....) and I love knowing I'm covered for gifts for a LONG time!

Merike Reiljan said...

Dear Renae,
it´s such a lovely post, I love it when people share these little joys of life!
I am actually writing to check if you got my message via FB. I sent you a little note a few days ago among my friend request and usually it shows when the addressee has seen the message but it does not now, so I started to wonder if you noticed it.

Kind regards
Merike