For a Quick Reference

Friday, December 21, 2012

A Baking Day with Magic Muffins


Today was cold.

 (Okay, you Northerners will disagree with me on this point- but in Texas, 40 degree weather is COLD!)

I bundled up in thermal underwear, two sweaters, AND my coat.

Here is where I sheepishly whisper: I didn't even go outside! That's what I wore INSIDE my house!

Pathetic, I know. 

My Idahoan and Alaskan relatives mock me. That's fine. They can mock all they want as long as I get to stay  away from icy roads, deep drifts of snow, and frozen fingers.

When I lived in Idaho one year we had a colossal snowstorm that dropped a few feet of snow. The wind whipped those snowflakes into drifts so high fences were all completely covered. Property boundaries were effectively erased. With no visual boundary to obey, a lot of dogs because confused and wandered away. It's pretty funny.....but I don't miss it. 


In an attempt to stay warm without turning on the furnace, I opted for a baking day.

I love hanging out near the hot stove on cold days!

When my children came home today, they were welcomed to the warm smell of muffins and fresh bread. 


I baked seven loaves of yummy wheat bread, and sixty Magic Muffins.

What's so magical about these muffins?

I'll tell you the secret-

They are really healthy. Seriously healthy.

I use 50% white whole-wheat flour and 50% unbleached white flour. (That adds heaps of fiber and protein on our 'Healthy Scale'. Don't use %100 whole wheat flour unless it's white wheat- red wheat is too bitter and heavy. You'll have bricks instead of muffins. Not magical.)

I also substitute most of the oil with mashed white beans (the protein scale just tipped over I think). You can't taste the beans at all and they add so many healthy benefits. If you really don't like beans or want a slightly moister muffin, substitute mashed bananas or applesauce instead of beans. 

These muffins are perfect for snacks or quick breakfasts or even school lunches. I give the children a muffin and a banana when there's no time for breakfast on a busy morning. 

When I told them they were allowed to eat more than one muffin (since they are more healthy than junk), Matthew threw his arms around me and said, "Oh thank you, THANK YOU for making such a fun snack! I love this type of healthy food!"

Do you want the recipe? 

Okee-dokee. 

Here you go:


Renae's Magic Muffins 

1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats

1 1/4 cups milk

1 egg

1/4 cup mashed white beans, bananas OR applesauce

1/4 cup oil

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 cups chopped nuts (we like almonds or pecans)

1/2 cup whole-wheat flour

3/4 cup unbleached white flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1. Combine the oats and milk in a bowl and allow to stand for 15 minutes. While the oats hydrate, line a 12-cup muffin tin. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Assemble the other ingredients.

2. Stir egg, mashed beans/banana/applesauce, oil, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup of the nuts into the oat and milk mixture.

3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the oat mixture, stirring until just combined. Fill each cup of the muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with the remaining brown sugar and nuts. 

4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes.


We make a triple-batch and freeze some for a handy breakfast or after-school snack. 

If you're in a hurry, they reheat really well in the microwave when zapped for 10-15 seconds. 

Enjoy!




1 comment:

Gail said...

Awesome, thanks! I should make several hundred and then freeze 'em.