For a Quick Reference

Friday, February 19, 2010

Real ladies wear gloves, right?

Do you remember seeing old movies that show ladies wearing gloves when they drive the car? Or gloves when they go shopping? How about gloves to church on Sunday? I think it makes them look so dignified and elegant. It bespeaks of a lost age of refinement.

I decided that I want to start wearing gloves. I want my kids to remember me as refined. I had a problem in buying them....modern stores don't usually carry kid-skin leather gloves for ladies. They have leather working gloves. (Which are also special, but they have their own place: the garage). On our trip to Fredericksburg this week, Nathan and I stopped at every antique store we found. The ladies gloves would fetch prices as high as $30. Hmm....not so neat. My enthusiasm to wear gloves wasn't fading, but I was resigning myself to some online hunting to find some affordable gloves. I also found a pattern so I could sew my own gloves, but who really wants to spend so much time on one glove? All the piecing would take over an hour for one glove.

On our way home we spotted one last antique store next to a gas station. While Nathan refeuled our car, I peeked inside the shop. Lo and behold! What met my eyes? A large wooden box filled to the brim with gloves, and priced at $1/pair. WooHOO! That's cheaper than I could make them myself! I went through the dozens of gloves and bought every pair that wasn't stained or ripped. Some of them have beading and needlework. Boy am I excited!! I wore the gloves the rest of the way home.

No comments: