For a Quick Reference

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Picnic and Poetry

My children were playing pretend this morning. They packed a picnic basket and set off for an adventure upstairs. I intercepted them along the way and inspected their luggage, for safety's sake. They had a meager collection of dishes and imaginary snacks, but carryfully nestled among this was a key ingredient to a memorable picnic: "The Collected poems of Byron, Shelly, and Keats".

Nathan and I love poetry and it's masterful grasp of language and emotion. I don't know if this was a coincidence....perhaps it was the first book they could reach on our bookshelf to pack along. Whatever the reason, I was delighted to see that our children consider books to be good companions for any outing. My life's work of teaching them to love books and love learning may be bearing the first tiny green buds of fruit.

No comments: