For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sarah's secret service

Today Sarah amazed me.

I made a delicious fruit smoothie and served it up for everyone in tall cold cups, but she didn't eat any. I encouraged her to eat it since it was packed with vitamins and minerals, was fat-free, and had very little sugar. She still abstained and asked if she could save it for later in the fridge. Usually she loves our smoothies.

Hours later she told me in private that she had been fasting all day for her friend's brother, Peter Loderup. He is serving a full-time mission in Hong Kong and had recently been viciously attacked by a large dog. He has been hospitalized and required corrective surgeries. His mother was so very worried about him and their family has been fasting and praying for his quick recovery to full health.

Sarah wanted to join her faith to the petitions of this family as they ask God for miracles. She chuckled and said I had unknowingly been making it very hard for her to fast today since I made her favorite smoothie and then encouraged her so much to eat it.

I was so touched by her concern for this family and impressed with her disciplined sacrifice as she willingly fasted 2 meals and asked the Lord to bless Peter.

When I was her age, there was no way I was willing to fast unless it was our monthly Fast Sunday. (And even then, I childishly counted down the hours until I could eat again!)

I told her how impressed I was with her thoughtfulness and spiritual maturity to fast for friends during the month. What a neat lady she is becoming. I feel humbled sometimes that I get the privilege of being her mother. Oh heavens, how can God trust me -such a weak and broken person- to raise these children?

I'm so thankful for our Savior's Atonement and the way it can enable me to be a better, stronger person. I'm so thankful that after doing my best, I can trust in the Lord to make up the rest. What a priceless blessing!

This is a "Sarah selfie" taken earlier this year. 



No comments: