For a Quick Reference

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cheery Cherry


I wanted to take an art class to further my talent development, but the nearest community college is a 40 minute drive away, and one class would ring in a hefty price tag of nearly $1000. Add in the price of gas, and it's even more jaw-dropping. So I searched online for courses in a variety of universities, but came up empty. Art just isn't offered as a correspondence course anywhere I searched.

After some more perusing, I found an online art school taught from England. His first lesson was free, and it was this still-life study of a cherry:


This project was painted with acrylics on a 9x12 mounted canvas.

I really enjoyed creating this piece and learning new techniques. I started it late one night after the kids were in bed and finished it around midnight. It took around 2 hours to do, which is very fast (for me) since he did all the analyzing for me and just told me which colors to use in each part. It's the thinking that takes so long for me....when I paint, it's around 80-90% thinking and 10% putting the brush to the canvas.

Anyway, I'm excited to do more classes and stretch more. I view myself as a very rudimentary artist and I'd eager to grow in ability and confidence.




No comments: