For a Quick Reference

Friday, June 7, 2013

Temple Square


After visiting family in Idaho, I had the delightful treat of taking my sisters to the temple in Salt Lake City. This is my very favorite temple on earth! The story of its construction is so inspiring! 



I love old buildings with a story. This temple is the most beautiful one I have ever visited, and the inside looks like a Roccoco palace. It was styled after the grand palaces in France, and the detail inside is breathtaking. Stunning statues are leafed in gold, carved fruit drips from the ceiling, and giant murals are filled with fine details. Words can't really describe it. You can see pictures of the interior of the Salt Lake City Temple HERE. I was SO eager to share this experience with my sisters! It was such a wonderful temple session! The Spirit was so powerful and I felt so strengthened and inspired. I love spending time on holy ground, feasting on the words of Christ.

Afterwards we snagged lunch in a scenic shopping center, then toured Temple Square for the rest of the afternoon. 


This was our sweeping view from the top of the Church Office Building. 


The gorgeous Assembly Hall is also on Temple Square with appealing Gothic architecture. I love this building!


One of my favorite things are the flower gardens on Temple Square. They fill the air with sweet aromas and fill the heart with joy. Everywhere you look are colorful flower beds lovingly tended by dedicated gardeners. I took entirely too many pictures of flowers, but will spare you the repetition and only share two here. 



In the Visitors Center we could see some of the original furniture that resided in the temple when it was dedicated. Look at the fine detail! Can you imagine that the people who built these were likely living in simple log homes? I was so touched that they would sacrifice so much time to beautify the house of the Lord when their own circumstances were so plain. 

Look at the intricate carvings and gold inlay! This table was just a hall table, nothing ceremonial or special in any way other than the fact that it was in the house of the Lord. Every attention to detail is like this!


Look at the skilled carving on this chair! The weave pattern must have taken ages to carve! I can't imagine carving hundreds of these chairs by hand. It's just incredible to imagine the lives of the people who made this heirloom.



We visited almost every building on Temple Square, which is such a treat for me. Usually my Littles are in tow and they are never eager to tour museums all day. The fine art collections everywhere were breathtaking and inspiring.

One of my favorite ways to spend a weekend is hopping from one museum to another. This was my first time visiting the Church History Museum, where visitors have open access to any historical document they want, isn't that SO neat?! I've always wanted don white gloves to peruse old journals in libraries. I definitely look forward to coming back to that place again!

It was a rejuvenating day feeding my soul. My heart felt so full of gratitude and joy! Life is truly beautiful!


No comments: