For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

First Magic Show

Here are some glimpses of my first performance as a clown. 

Some parents were so kind to share their pictures with me. (Thanks again! You guys are all so awesome!)


Even though I enjoy performing, I was actually pretty nervous over the magic tricks themselves. I was so worried I'd forget the timing for subtle slight-of-hand tricks during the storytime. 


I was so nervous I couldn't eat dinner before the show and was surprised to notice my hands were shaking- how embarrassing! Luckily that only lasted the first five minutes before I gained more confidence. 


One of my favorite magic acts in the show is a silly fractured fairy tale of Cinderella. She has so many troubles getting ready for the ball, and the fairy godmother left without fixing Cinderella's hair. We try our own bit of magic with my magic wand, and it doesn't go as well as we hoped. There's lot of silly mishaps that left the kids shrieking with laughter. 


After several unexpected plot twists, we needed a royal prince to save the day. 

She doesn't quite look like a prince yet, does she? 


She's missing something.....hmmm. 

I know just the thing....

Ta-Da! 


The prince saved the day and all was well again (whew!). The kids thought the mustache was hilarious!

The show lasted 40 minutes and had lots of eager audience participation. The worst part was choosing each stage assistant. All the kids wanted to help me so badly! I felt bad that I couldn't have them ALL come onstage, but there's not much to be done about that. 


 It was a great introduction to the clowning world for me. I gained a lot of confidence, learned a lot on how I can improve my show and the kids had a great time. Some kids even wanted pictures with me afterwards, which I didn't expect one bit. (I hope that's a good sign that the show was successful.)


Several children came up to me after the show and shyly said they loved the silly magic.  Several parents booked me on the spot for future birthday parties (score!). I'm thinking that's a definite sign the show was a success.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Once again, I love reading your blog. Your life is sooo different than mine and I love reading every minute of it. You make such a pretty clown!!! Honestly, I have never seen a prettier clown. I love all the bright colors you chose for your costume - it makes your bright blue eyes stand out even more :) Keep the post coming! I am loving each one!!!