For a Quick Reference

Thursday, June 27, 2013

A blessed bout with a bad stomach bug

Diego plays on our homemade car rug while I stay in bed.

Today I am sick in bed. No fun at all, but I do feel so blessed today.

This illness is forcing me to slow down instead of busily catching up on housework and projects. As a result, today is turning out quite lovely even though I am nauseous and exhausted.

In particular, I'm so thankful for my kiddos.

Sarah and Matthew and Daniel are all independent enough to take care of their own needs, and they are such great helpers with Diego. They fed him breakfast and took him outside to play this morning.

I looked out the window and saw all three boys valiantly sword-fighting some tall weeds, swinging thick sticks for swords. Diego had been armed with the best weapon on the team: Matthew's beloved homemade wooden sword. I could hear them exclaiming, "Hey dragon! Take that! And that!" as they swiped at the swaying leaves. Their giggles and victorious shouts traveled easily across the field to my ears.

Later they ran inside to my side, gasping for air before speaking with glee, "Mom! We found a birds nest! And the speckled eggs are only one inch tall! And would you believe it?! They're hatching right now!" They were so happy to share this joyous discovery with me, describing every detail.

They have now sworn to protect the site from cats and help the mother bird by catching bugs to leave near the nest.

My heart is happy and I am content- what a special childhood it is to grow up in the country!

Today Matthew gave Diego his first piggy-back ride. Diego loved it and would quietly say, "Whee!" as Matthew carried him throughout the house.

Sarah put on some of our favorite upbeat music and hosted a dance party. They all taught Diego silly dance moves and made him laugh. It was great medicine to watch this silly performance.

Later the Big Kids were all working on their wooden candy dispensers from DI camp. They were busy sanding all the edges (100 strokes per corner!) while Diego watched. He eagerly joined the fun, clumsily rubbing the sandpaper on Matthew's project while the Big Kids laughed in delight.

Today I'm staying in bed sipping iced ginger ale, wishing the toilet wasn't quite so far away. We've become great friends today. :(

The piles of dirty dishes, muddy floors from dirty campers, and piles of laundry can continue to wait.

I'm actually really thankful for today. I appreciate the opportunity to connect with my children and enjoy their silly antics. Being trapped in bed makes great bonding time since the kids can come talk to me and have my undivided attention for hours at a time.

Even on bad days like this, life is so beautiful!

No comments: