For a Quick Reference

Monday, May 24, 2010

A New Collection for you to explore

I've had several friends ask me to set up links on here for some of my favorite resources for teaching our children.

Check out the list of link on my side bar.

I compiled a collection of links that encompass a wide variety of subject matter and target ages from preschool (learning letters and phonics at Starfall) ranging to adults (learning etymology by playing games at Etymylogic, or learning new vocabulary in a fun way at FreeRice).

I put up my children's favorite places to play online when they are allowed on the computer (Check out Bridge Builder...it's one of Matt's very favorites! It mimics physics as you try to construct a bridge for a vehicle to pass over) and The Friend (They really love this site, especially the puzzle games with accompanying instrumental music.)

Some of the listed links connect to massively large collections of games and activities, so some of them may cater to a wide range of abilities and interests all in one site.  Take a bit of time to explore them and find the activities that will benefit your child most.

There are lots of logic games or specific subject-based games (like the BBC kids website...you can accompany an archeolgist on an Anglo-Saxon dig as you unearth artifacts and try to piece them together and guess their origin. It teaches you about each object and the student learns different aspects of Anglo-Saxon life with each dig. There are activities for several historic periods and places: Rome, Greece, WW2, Victorian England, etc. Very neat!)

For homeschooling moms in particular, my favorite site is the Latter-Day homeschooling one. It is designed as a catch-all for all things regarding home schooling. There are so m any lesson ideas that are applicable to any family, whether they home school or not. There's great advice categorized by age and topic, so it's easy to search the archives for pertinent information. 

I have been often amazed at the quality of educational websites we've found. There are a lot of free resources out there for families, it's just a trick trying to find them all.

I loved this aspect of homeschooling: all the mothers would share great recommendations for books/videos/websites with each other. There's such a wealth of knowledge to be gained from mothers who are anxiously engaged in building up their children to aspire to great things. These are not women who see time as something merely to be filled. Time is an opportunity. What do you choose to do with that time? Are you going to grow and learn something new, or just search out the next form of entertainment to help you pass the time?  It's so invigorating to associate with women who are passionate about learning. I love it!
 
I will add links over time as I remember to put them up, or as I discover new ones.

Please let me know of any great online resources that could be added to my list.

No comments: