For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Charles Dickens



Last night I couldn't sleep, so I gave into an overwhelming hunger to dive into a Dickens book. He's one of my favorite authors. His works are replete with rich linguistic art and I adore the magical way he paints a picture with words. I love secluding myself with his books so much! I think of the line, "One is never lonely with a good book in his pocket". 



I scoured the bookshelves looking for a work I hadn't read recently. The only book I could find that wasn't fresh on my mind  was "A Tale of Two Cities". Fantastic, I thought. A great classic. I loaded a plate with crackers, cheeses, and sliced ham and brought a handful of old-fashioned gingersnaps with me up to my room. I always read late-night books on my bathroom floor so I don't bother Nathan with the light from the bedside lamp. So I settled on the tile with my stash of munchies and eagerly opened the book.


What a disappointment. This wasn't Dickens! This was an abridged monstrosity! How could this even be allowed to be published? Abridging a Charles Dickens book means the editor rips away all the rich descriptions to leave behind a stale plot line devoid of creativity. How was this even in my house? I remember that someone gave it to me a long time ago.  I was so disappointed that libraries aren't open 24/7. I desired to drive there right away and secure the REAL tale, even at midnight. I was left feeling even more hungry for a classic tale to enjoy.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, could your family BE any cuter??? Where'd you get those pictures done? Beyond adorable!

And I agree, isn't abridging Dickens, like, illegal or something?

Unknown said...

The pics are in our favorite campground; it's an ancient pecan orchard.

I couldn't remember the plot line of this book, so I gave in and am still reading the abridged version merely to find out what happens.