For a Quick Reference

Monday, September 17, 2012

Ivanhoe and mud

Today I listened to Sir Walter Scott's book "Ivanhoe" while I cleaned, mopped and polished furniture.

It was overcast and drizzling outside, making it a perfectly cozy afternoon. I could hear a steaming cup of ginger tea and a good book calling my name. (I'm reading the fascinating biography of Mother Theresa- how about you?)

 It been raining for several days, which is a mixed blessing.

Our lovely trees are soaking up all the sweet rain...I can almost hear them sigh in contentment after patiently waiting out our hot dry summer. 

The only bad part is the mud. 

Muddy paw prints dot my tile floors, creating dark paths throughout my house. I had been waiting for days for the rain to stop and the mud to dry up before mopping everything. I decided today I can't handle waiting any more, so I mopped and reveled in my clean shiny floors.

When Bella came in from romping joyfully in our muddy pasture, I carefully pulled socks onto her paws and secured them in place with hair ties. I thought I was such a clever girl for solving our paw print problem. Alas, it was not to be. Using her teeth, she pulled the socks off and went her merry way, leaving a muddy trail for the children to follow.

Ah the joys of living in the country!


2 comments:

Gail said...

I forgot to lend you my extra copy on Sunday. Sorry.

Where do you get your audio books? Download? I need to get into that myself, since I hate being bored, which generally means I hate cleaning. I frequently listen to the the news, but an audio book would be better.

Sorry about your floors. But that just means you have an excuse to mop again--while listening to Ivanhoe!

Unknown said...

I found a plethora of audiobooks on http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/.

It's a great resource. I always intend to download several classic books and create CDs to take in the car, but I never remember to do that.