For a Quick Reference

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Canadians sound like what?

We recently purchased "Homesteading for Beginners". It's a 3-DVD set teaching homesteading skills.

The DVDs are so interesting! They are made by a homesteading family that live near an Amish community. Read how they became started in homesteading here.The family learns and shares a lot of 'common sense' treasures from their Amish friends. Isn't that SO NEAT? I always wished I had Amish neighbors! (That's the one thing Texas lacks- no Amish communities!) They even sell clothing from their Amish friends and old fashioned kitchen tools for a farm kitchen. You can see their website here. 

The videos teach things like:
-how to butcher a pig or cow and preserve the entire thing in ONE DAY (remember, the Amish have no refrigerators so they HAVE to do it quickly.)
-how to make a variety of breads without yeast or sugar (How cool is that for food-storage freaks like me?!)
-how to home-can almost everything (even bacon and sausage- YUM!)
-how to milk a cow (which I've never seen done before, this was so valuable to learn!)
-lots of ways to garden and preserve your harvest for later (right up my lane!)
-how to make maple syrup (this made me wish we actually lived up north, where is actually snows and sugar maples grow!)
-how to make your own daily multivitamins from powdered plants(okay, this clip is seriously funny. It looks like she is making a witches brew, with green and red smoke raising out of the pot! We couldn't stop laughing!)

My kids have really loved watching these videos with me, and we have learned so much! Now we are so excited to begin experimenting with some new ideas (This is where I became convinced that I wanted to own a Jersey cow instead of goats.)

The family has such a cute Canadian accent. After watching these videos for a while, Matthew said, "These people talk so weird....oh I know what it is! They sound LIKE MUPPETS!"

Bwahahaha! 

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I haven't read anything that makes me want a cow instead of goats.

Everything I've read on the subject sounds like goats are the way to go.
They're healthier, less picky eaters, smarter, more friendly, the milk is more nutritious, they're smaller and easier to control. They get out of fences but cows push fences over so that's kind of a wash.

Sarah said...

I Doont sooond like a Muppet!!! And it's aboot time Canadians stood up to that notion, eh?
Anyway, just found your blog through pinterest and it's fascinating. You have a new Canadian fan :)