For a Quick Reference

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween projects

Here are the results of Nathan's face painting this year. He is the Beast from "Beauty and the Beast". I will finally have a chance to wear my ball gown costume to accompany him. I bought this dress ages ago for when I work a princess party. Just my luck, no one has hired me for a princess party ever since I purchased it. 



I learned a lot. I was also massively frustrated a lot. I learned that I don't really like working with such thin latex prosthetics. They are difficult to maneuver and tricky to glue down. My fingers were sticky from the spirit gum adhesive, which made it really hard to put down my paintbrushes, the glue bottle, etc. It was almost comical to try to drop a paintbrush, only to discover that it was glued to my fingers. The nose and horns were really fun to put on, but the eyebrows and chin weren't worth the effort.

I took a time-lapse video of the process, so I'll post it here after I add music to it. It took a couple hours because I didn't know what I was doing. This is the first time I've ever done prosthetics, and there was a definite learning curve.

Before I could finish, I came down with a migraine. It was really frustrating because the visual auras of my migraines make it so I can't see. I didn't get to do the finishing touches that I would have liked on this face, but there's really nothing I could do about that. I spent the next few hours sick in bed, but I'm so thankful that I felt well enough this morning to try this new technique.

Will I do prosthetics again next year? I think 'maybe'. I wouldn't do such a full face of prosthetics, but I did enjoy putting on the nose, horns, and ears.

Here is a picture of my work-in-progress painting. It's 4 feet tall and 8 feet long. The party is tomorrow, so I don't have much time to finish it.



No comments: