For a Quick Reference

Monday, May 20, 2013

Bucket List Item- The Color Run, my first 5k

A group of ladies from church decided to form a team for the Austin Color Run, and I eagerly jumped a the chance to cross off a minor bucket list item. I also thought commiting myself to a 5k would push me to be more diligent in my exercise routines. Yeah...that totally didn't happen. That's okay, I still didn't finish in the last half of our group (but that's not exactly saying much since we had ladies recovering from back surgery and broken ankles......).

We almost chose the team name, "The Stormin' Mormons", but didn't want to exclude any friends of other faiths from joining the team....so we settled on "Dyed and Gone to Heaven". It wasn't until we arrived at the race that we discovered the event is a fundraiser for cancer....oops! There's a politically incorrect team name if ever we saw one! Ah well. 

Before the race we were a pretty clean crowd.


That didn't last for long. Colors flew along the route in thick clouds of powder. See the pink cloud behind me?



We came back dirty and happy at the end of the race. I'm in the sexy pink socks and Hawaiian leis. Super-stylish, right? 




After the race was a large party, with more color flying than ever before. Crowds crushed close to the stage where singers performed and DJs threw packets of color into the audience. The air was like a rainbow kissing our skin while people danced under bright blue skies.



Even our team mascot, baby Iver, was caught by color. Look at his pink hair!


On the way home from the race, Nate called and asked me to stop by the grocery store for a few items. Ha! There's a sure test of confidence! Just waltz into the store an appearance like that and pretend nothing is odd. It was pretty fun watching the varied reactions!


No comments: