For a Quick Reference

Monday, May 14, 2012

Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth

Recently I had a fleeting glimpse of what this scripture from Proverbs means:

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

What a beautiful view of motherhood I saw yesterday!

After our traditional Mother's Day Tea Party (herbal tea only....remember, Mormons don't drink regular tea) I indulged in a short afternoon nap.

I awoke to an unearthly scene.

While I had slept, my children had schemed together and created a Mommy-Spa. An armchair full of pillows stood before a steaming foot bath. On the accompanying table were rows of nail polishes, massage lotions, chocolates (they know my weak spot for Rocher chocolates!), and a cup of cherry tea. My children giggled as they eagerly ushered me into the armchair, then proceeded to pamper me for the next hour.

They tenderly brushed my hair, lovingly massaged my hands and feet, and carefully painted my nails. (Okay, I admit, Matthew's first-ever attempt at painting toenails was a bit comical. His heart was in the right place and he was trying so hard....I decided not to point out that nail polish is meant to stay only on the toenails. I ignored the little spots of pink dribbled accidentally between my toes. Sometimes mothers just have to bite their tongue.) One child fanned my face while I reclined luxuriously on the pillows.

They were so attentive and anticipated my every possible desire. "Would you like a chocolate? Here, I'll unwrap it for you!" "How is your tea, do you need more sugar?" "Are you too cold from my fanning? I'll bring you a blanket and tuck you in!"

While all these things are lovely, the best part of the experience was this: they worked together happily as a team the entire time without any inclination to disagree with each other about the details. Oh that was heavenly. I felt like a queen doted on by adorable fans.

This thought ran circles in my mind the entire time:


It's so true!


My sweet husband was so thoughtful the entire weekend. Loving friend that he is, he encouraged me to attend an overnight women's retreat for our church. I felt so strengthened, empowered, and inspired from those wonderful women! We laughed and cried together and forged meaningful friendships. Oh how I LOVED the Relief Society retreat! I love the way the teachings of Christ bring people together in positive ways!

I came home Saturday to a clean home with homemade bread and rolls cooling on the counter. The children had scrubbed the bathrooms and bathed before I returned home. Nathan cooked up a storm preparing food for our Tea Party. He baked cranberry-orange scones with sweet orange glazing and cream, miniature quiches, deviled eggs, and chocolate cookies. It was all so delicious!

We invited over some dear friends who I admire as wonderful mothers. It was lovely to share the day with them and strengthen a friendship with people who are gems.

Yes, sometimes it's hard to be a mother. But sometimes the intense joy of motherhood takes my breath away. Yesterday was a perfectly blissful, wonderful day. I felt such deep happiness to be surrounded by my little ones. Motherhood truly is a joy.

Here's some beautiful parting thoughts I'd like to share:



Did you notice the words that were used? Highest, holiest, next to the angels – we should all feel like that, and we can, when we stop comparing ourselves to others and seeking the praise or approval of man. Who you are is enough, you are doing the best you can. If you doubt that pray and ask Heavenly Father He will tell you how loved you are, He will let you feel of your true worth.

These lovely printable quotes were made by Spiritually Thinking.
Read more: http://spirituallythinking.blogspot.com/search/label/Motherhood#ixzz1ur38iGB5

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Sarah made the cookies without my help at all.