For a Quick Reference

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Daniel Tackles the Wall

(Editor's rant: Yikees. Old news again. I'm just not organized enough to keep up to date on this blog. It has something to do with the fact that our dial-up takes for-eh-ver to upload any pictures. I really do hate to post a story without its pictures....and I really do hate spending so much time uploading the darn things. I know, I know, old news is terrible. I needed to record this for my own documentation, so you can skip reading this one. I promise not to hold a grudge.)

Daniel had one wish for his birthday party: he wanted to go rock climbing and bowling. He never gave a thought that his cast might hold him back, and he didn't let that slow him down. 

Nathan and I served as the cheer leading squad for each child as they took turns bowling. Nathan was so enthusiastic and animated. It made me giggle every time he cheered. The kids just soaked up all the attention like little sponges. 

After a round of laser tag, Dan was ready to tackle the rock climbing walls. He was so eager to give it a try. Dan has always been the most acrobatic climber in our family. I was hoping he wouldn't be too disappointed and frustrated by the hindrance of his cast. He couldn't bend one arm at all, so I was a bit apprehensive.



It turned out Daniel adapted quickly to climbing without bending his elbow. He scaled up the wall faster than Sarah or Matthew. Look at him go!


He made it to the top several times and rang the bell triumphantly. He loved this activity so much and climbed all the courses in the beginner section. 


Then he watched the adult 'regulars' climb the advanced walls. He was determined to give those walls a try, so he convinced Nathan to take him into the crowds of experienced climbers and hook him up to a difficult wall. I couldn't believe how much he enjoyed himself.

After rounds of bowling, laser tag, climbing, and mini-golf it was finally time to head home. 

For a long time Nathan and I had been planning on installing a rock climbing wall in the boys bedroom. I kept thinking we shouldn't build it until the boys were older....but now I'm thinking we can install it much sooner. They were in their element today.


No comments: