For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A grand adventure begins!

Our house full of boxes waiting to be packed

We are moving.

A crazy whirlwind of events are happening. 
We've been interested in moving to the country for a while now.
We want to experiment with livestock, gardens, orchards, and bees.
We started a casual search of houses a month ago...just for fun.
We had strong feelings that the Lord was directing us to a particular house.
Suddenly we are barreling full-throttle forward. 
We are closing on our new house on April 28th.

We came across a great-looking property at an amazing price (it's so cheap because it's a fixer-upper). Here's the details:


It's 15 miles from the nearest grocery store. 
It's 5 miles outside of the nearest 'town', population less than 2,000.

It has 4 acres of property.
It has very old oak trees towering over the yard.
It already has a pasture fenced off for livestock.
It's in a nice equestrian neighborhood.
There's a neighborhood pool.
It will take a month of hard work to make the house even habitable.
We can't move anything into the house until then.
If we're lucky, we can move in during the last month of my pregnancy.
We have two Cub Scout troops volunteering to help clear all the trash. 
They get a merit badge for the project.
The house and yard are absolutely filthy.
The current occupants never used a trash can. Or the dishwasher.
The dishwasher is full of dead leaves and cigarette butts.
Our new church congregation is already arranging a service project to help.
Families will come together and deep clean the house in one big day of service.
I'm a complete stranger to most of them.
I feel so blessed by the Lord to have so much help.
So many little and big miracle are happening with this transition.
It's very humbling to see the Lord so completely taking over.

The front of the new home

My favorite tree in the yard. The trunk is over 3 feet in diameter!

In our current house we are working at breakneck speed to get the house ready for the market. There is so much to do- repainting, new carpets, moving out furniture so it will stage nicely, cleaning up the yard, etc. 
We are trying to get  it on the market before we leave for my sister's wedding. That's not much time. 

Maybe more miracles will happen to get us there.


8 comments:

Karina said...

Good luck. that is so exciting. I love it when I'm moving forward with full purpose. You know it's the right thing, even though it's hard, you will find a way to get there. So exciting!

Cameron and Becky said...

Sounds like fun. In an odd sort of way, I envy the adventure you guys are in for. Probably a bit of trepidation, but what a good way to meet the neighbors. My wife and I have hopes of doing something very similar sometime in the future. We are excited to see the progress!

5boystokiss said...

Wow,
When are you due? Your sister is getting married? You are moving? Wow! I wish we could join you on this adventure. I just finished reading Farmer Boy with the boys again. Makes me wish we lived in the country! I grew up 10 miles outside a town of 300 people. You are in for the greatest time of your life. You will continually be amazed at the closeness of your ward family there. I hope you love it, but I know you will! Is there such a thing as righteuos jealousness? I don't want you not to have it, but I want to have it!

Hey, by the way, how close to San Antonio are you? We will be there next month.

Erika

Lisa said...

Soooo cute! I LOVE it! You'll love it too! Love you!!!

Michelle said...

Wow -- how exciting! I'm so glad you have a lot of help and support around you. Good luck with everything! :-)

Becky said...

Brian was SOO excited when he heard you were going to start a bee farm! I LOVE the new home and I really want to see pics of the inside...hint hint. :) We can't WAIT to see you...only 3 more weeks!! Love you guys!!

Kathryn said...

Wow Renae this is ALL so exciting! I am sure you will love it! AND I am sorry I haven't called you back yet! You are so adventurous and I admire that about you!

Angela S said...

Congratulations! Reed and I want to know if the next house down is for sale... ;) I'm so glad you're getting so much help with it, it sounds like a big project! Oh and congratulations on the coming baby.