For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Month in review


So much has been happening- and it all seems so overwhelming to attempt to catch up on everything, so I've stayed away from the blogging realm. Unfortunately, I use my blog posts to supplement my hand written journal. I usually write the meaningful, spiritual experiences in my personal journal and use the blog to record the temporal affairs of the family. There's so much I don't want to forget about the past two months, so here's a quick highlight of our happenings while I've been silent online:

In January-

For home school I taught a unit study about the Opera. We did opera puppet shows and filmed our own movie production of Peter Pan. The kids loved it! We studied Mozart and 'The Magic Flute' then we attended the Austin Lyric Opera for a field trip. The girls loved dressing up and eating out at a restaurant together. We really enjoyed the trip and created lots of wonderful memories!

I face painted for the Texas Governor's Inauguration at the capital. We carpooled since parking passes were worth more than their weight in gold for this event. I drove my van- since I'm the only one with a large family vehicle like that- and it was full of clowns. The inaugural party had over 10,000 attendants and served 5-star free BBQ to the public. We feasted and enjoyed our food on the beautiful capital grounds. Most of the politicians didn't bring their kids, so the work load was very light. Too bad my agent booked this one- I couldn't pass out my personal business cards. :(

I felt energy returning after the three months of severe morning sickness, so I felt excited and motivated to get things in order again. Three months of the children foraging for themselves in the pantry sure did a number on my organization in the kitchen. In January I couldn't even see the pantry floor. A dear friend came over and helped me with the task of completely emptying the shelves, washing and re-papering the shelves, and reorganizing the foodstuffs. Ah! It felt so good to get it clean again!


I focused a lot on our emergency preparedness and felt very prompted to start teaching other women about it. I've promised to post the lesson material and 72-hour kit information on this blog---and haven't done it yet. Hopefully I will get to it soon. I taught an evening lesson about family evacuation plans and everything I've learned over the past 5 years about 72-hour kits and how to improve them for your family.

No comments: