For a Quick Reference

Thursday, July 1, 2010

A lesson in gratitude

Yesterday I was booked to face paint at the Dell Children's Hospital here in Austin. I've always wanted to go volunteer here and paint faces for free, but the required hours of orientation have prevented me from actually becoming a registered volunteer. Ironically, when they hire me to come paint for a party, I can just walk in without any orientation classes. For patient privacy protection, I couldn't take any pictures, so this post is just text.

I loved it. I hope so much to do it again in the future.

The children gathered in the party room from all over the hospital. My heart cried out for these sweet children who were struggling with such visible afflictions. The hardest part was holding back the tears as waves of compassion rolled over me with each child I saw. As a mother, I saw each of these children as my own, and I wanted so badly just to hold and rock them. It was tough to smile and act chipper when my heart was breaking just to imagine what trials they are dealing with each day. So many children asked how much it would hurt to be painted so they could weigh the decision properly. I can't imagine how much pain they encounter each day as a matter of routine.

I realized in a powerful way what a blessing it is to have healthy children. I'm so thankful that I don't have to watch my child suffer, and my heart went out to the families I saw that day.

One nurse came and asked me if I could go paint a boy who couldn't leave his bed. I was happy to do it, and the interaction made me want to cry for his pain. He was paralyzed in a bed, but in complete use of his mental faculties. He was such a sweet and intelligent person. What a trial it must be to be trapped in such a body. I wanted to do whatever I could to make him happy. I treasure the interaction we had. 

A little girl asked me  to come to her brother's room and paint him because he was also bedridden. My work shift was over 10 minutes prior to the conversation, but I was sincerely happy to do it. I would have been happy to stay for another hour, if there were any other children to paint.


I really loved helping the children smile. There was such a sincere joy on their faces when they saw themselves in the mirror. This is why I love being a face painter. 

The entire 30 minute drive back home was filled with prayers of deep gratitude. I'm so thankful I was blessed with this experience.


Life is so rich. 

1 comment:

5boystokiss said...

Thanks for sharing. You constantly inspire me. Love You!