For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Garden update



Our garden is growing well, aside from a few setbacks. We had a tragedy last week....mosaic virus. Our favorite heirloom pepper plant (with all-white peppers) caught it and had to be exterminated immediately. It spread to another pepper plant and a Super Sweet 100 tomato plant. That was a sad, sad day. The empty cages mark the where the plants used to live.

Luckily, everything else is growing very well. The basil is huge and ready for some harvesting. We are making basil jelly for the first time this year, and I'm very excited to try it out. The recipe is from a farmhouse cookbook. It's for pouring over meats or dipping crackers into. Yum!
The Green Machine melons are growing like crazy. Nathan trained the vine to climb up a cedar branch to the fence, so now it grows happily along the top of the fence, getting all the sunshine it wants. This melon vine is an intense producer, so it should have dozens of fruit. A lot of flowers have already started fruiting, so we're really excited. I'm still volunteering time to help people collect materials to start their own gardens, and I'm teaching another gardening class in two weeks. I'm so excited that people are starting to take an interest in where their food comes from. It's so important to know exactly what you're consuming, so I love my garden!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I am so jealous we are just getting our garden going! I do have a grape tomatoe plant that I have been keeping inside since last summer so it so all pretty and finally blooming!

Kathryn said...

Renae your garden looks beautiful! I am excited for the day we will actually get to have a garden! Then you can teach me all the tricks!