For a Quick Reference

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Father-Son campout

It's finally arrived: the annual Father-Son campout. Matthew was so excited for that weekend! The entire week before the trip, he'd periodically squeeze his hands in delight, wiggle all over like a puppy, and giggle loudly, exclaiming, "Iamsoexcited!Iamsoexcited!"

Here's Matthew's account of the trip:

I had a lot of stuff for dinner! I had a bottle of orange juice, and I drank it. I played with lots of friends. We played good guys and bad guys with sticks. I was a bad guy for a long time, but then I wanted to be a good guy, so I traded teams. My friend the bad guy said, "Oh no! My partner switched! Now he's turned on me!"

I had pancakes for breakfast and I went fishing. It rained on us, and I didn't like that. I caught my own fish all by myself. The fish was shiny and silvery. It had sharp things on it's back that I couldn't touch. I like to go fishing. I was the only one to catch a fish, and no one helped me catch it. I threw the fish back in the water so it could live. I like fish and I didn't want it to die. It was so pretty I wanted it to live. I think I will always let fish live, I don't want them to die.

I liked sleeping in the tent. Mosquitoes bit me on the face and I took off my band-aid and lost it. I don't know where it is. At the fire I cooked marshmallows and I had apple juice and orange juice. I cooked my own marshmallows and Dad lit a marshmallow on fire and so did someone else. I didn't light any on fire, I just cooked it and it got squooshy. I also ate cookies.


It appears to me that camping must all be about the food for little boys. I'm glad he had a great time. Nathan said Matt was extremely helpful in setting up things and worked hard. He was nice to the other kids and cheerful the entire time. He was reverent during the fireside and was just wonderful to have around. I'm so glad to hear things like that. We've struggled a lot with Matt's stubbornness and bullying when he was younger and he's been growing into such a delightful person. I'm so pleased with his progress! Now if Daniel can just follow suit....

No comments: