For a Quick Reference

Friday, June 27, 2014

Reflections of our Journey

I wanted to reflect on our journey. I have several thoughts.

1- This trip was SO incredible, and I'm so grateful we were able to do this trip together. The children had so many life-enriching experiences and we created so many memories that will bind us closer together. This is already a cherished memory. It was so fun to sit around the dinner table and hear the kids tell Dad their favorite parts of the trip.

2- One of the reasons I planned this trip was so I could do something difficult and prove to myself that I can  do hard things on my own. At home I often relied on my sweet husband to take care of life's 'hard things'....but I wanted to feel more independent, more powerful, and more competent. We did many hard things, and I felt stronger. The hard things weren't all physical (like hiking and kayaking)....much of the 'marathon' required spiritual strength (can you guess how many times I had to be exceedingly patient with children who were tired/sore/hungry/hot/cold/bored/insert whatever you want?). I was pleased with my personal growth.

3- It was hard sometimes. It was a lot of work. At first the kids were very disobedient, chaotic, and contentious.  The first week I asked myself, "What have I gotten myself into?!" But we were already committed to the whole trip, so there was no going back. After I introduced our rule about food and behavior (posted earlier this month), the kids' choices drastically improved. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

4- It was very good to be 'away from it all': the housework, the farm work, teaching art classes, DI coaching, performing magic shows, and the endless emails/paperwork for clients. We were able to connect as a family in wonderful ways that we've never done before since they had my exclusive attention.

5- My kids were so creative in making their own entertainment. I loved seeing their imaginative games and home-made toys crafted from the forest. Every kid should have a chance to spend an unstructured week living in the forest- one night isn't nearly long enough. The longer we spent camping, the quicker they created their own entertainment.

6- I felt so in awe of God's creations, and my own soul was filled. Driving through breathtakingly beautiful scenery just does a number on my heart. I feel the Spirit when I enjoy nature....I felt so humbled by God's generosity in creating such lovely landscapes for His children to enjoy. The Earth is such a grand place full of stunning variety. I'm so thankful for a healthy body that allowed me to hike/swim/kayak and get up close and personal with different environments and different animals. So many neat adventures.

We played in snow at the top of the a mountain in the Bitterroot Mountain Range in Montana. Until we saw a wolf less than a hundred yards away. Then we ran back to the van as fast as we could!

No comments: