For a Quick Reference

Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Animal Whisperer

Daniel feels such a deep connection with animals. He has a special gift with creatures, and he's always drawn to animals as if he's pulled by an invisible string tugging him in their direction. 

He can't help but pet any creature he finds, like the summer he mortified me and played with monstrously huge Texan spiders. He giggled and let them crawl all over his head, arms, and chest. These spiders had a 6 inch leg span. (Shudder!) To watch Daniel, you'd think these spiders had all the charm and appeal of new puppies. 

Another occasion we went to a zoologist show. The presenter called Daniel up to the stage and put a huge live scorpion on Daniel's head for several minutes. He loved it.

Today he told me, "I often wish I was a chicken." Trying to stifle my laughter, I asked him why he felt that way. He responded, " The feathers are sooo soft and I've always wanted to hatch my own eggs!"

These photographs capture him perfectly.  He's often found by himself quietly cuddling with a cat in bed or cradling a chicken in his arms. This is what Daniel finds joy in the most.

farm horse, sweetberry farms, texas farm, boy and horse

At night he carefully brings his favorite cat, Severus, into bed. Severus sleeps on Daniel's pillow, with blankets loving tucked around his furry body with all the gentle care of a concerned parent. Severus purrs loudly for hours while he cuddles with Daniel each night.It's so fun to check on my children in the middle of the night and see Severus still lounging on the pillow, happy as can be. 

Daniel is so happy to live on a farm and be surrounded with animals every day. Life is so good for him here! I am filled with joy when I watch him interact with his furry or feathered friends. 


2 comments:

Gail said...

Do you have a horse? Or is that a neighbor's?

Unknown said...

Heavens, no. We won't ever have a horse...it's just a sociable horse at Sweetberry Farm.