For a Quick Reference

Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend Wrap-up


Boy, am I glad to see Monday finally here! Our weekend was busy.

Saturday morning dawned bright and early as I drove an hour to our Stake Center to attend my favorite church meeting of the year: Stake Women's Conference. It was truly a spiritual feast. I learned so much about the attributes of God and how to develop them in myself or apply them in my parenting.

I was on a spiritual high all morning. 

The other reason I love this conference is because it's like a family reunion of sorts. Nathan and I have lived in four different wards of this stake...as a result, we have dear friends scattered all over the county. It's such a pleasure to see all our old friends together under one roof. There is such a deep joy in reuniting with sincerely good people who I have loved for years. I think I get a little glimpse of heaven on these occasions- surely there is a wonderful, heart-felt reunion in heaven when we arrive after our journey on earth.

I have so much to ponder from this conference and I feel motivated again to train myself into a better, kinder person. Perhaps I'll share some of my thoughts/insights on this blog later. Perhaps not. I still have to decide if it's too personal to share on such a public forum. We'll see. Most likely I'll just forget to type it all up anyway and will paste my notes into my handwritten, personal journal.

After the conference, I made a speedy exit to race home in time to meet our DI team. Along the way, I picked up pizzas and supplies from the hardware store.

At home we had 7 kids all ready to work on our DI performance. After donning everyone in old painting clothing from  my art closet, the children began to paint their backdrops in earnest. We had two teams working on two huge canvases (actually, the canvases were old bed sheets stolen from my linen closet).

We had another team of boys constructing a 3-foot tall unicorn costume out of boxes, foam, pipes, sticks, and lots of hot glue. The chaos was intense, but at least they made progress. Our team meeting was a whopping four hours long, so we had a pizza picnic together on the floor for dinner (the tables were all draped with drying paintings, so the  floor was our only option).

After dinner we tried to write the script. Oh. My. Goodness. Never try that at home!

It was like pulling teeth trying to get them to focus. After a laborious hour of discussion, we had a whopping 10 lines written for their play. Oh dear. I think my facial expression looked like a deer in the headlights at this point. Wide-eyed and vacant.

Competition is in just a few weeks. Oy.

After everyone left, my brain was fried, so we had a family movie night to chill out. Never so much had I looked forward to a quiet Sunday with my family.

PS-
The boys begged me to take pictures of them in their Sunday suits, so here are a couple of the shots we snagged before church:




No comments: