For a Quick Reference

Friday, February 15, 2013

Lover's Day

The children woke up this morning to a breakfast table covered with love notes to each of them. These were my Valentine cards to my Littles. I wanted them to know how I admired them. I wanted them to know what talents I can see in them. I wanted them to just feel LOVED.





Breakfast was heart-shaped pancakes (just like every other cool family in the world on V-day....I'm not feeling original this week.) covered in fruit and served on our elegant Sunday dishes with hot cocoa served in tall goblets.

Did you know Valentine's Day is my wedding anniversary? Cheesy, I know. (Actually, if I could go back in time, I'd tell my younger self, "I know right now you think it's such a romantic idea, but don't do it! Resist the urge to get married on Valentines Day!  There will be one LESS day of the year to celebrate your marriage and love! Everyone else will have TWO days to celebrate their relationship (Valentines plus an anniversary somewhere else on the calendar), but you........you will have chosen to roll those two precious days together. You'll be cheated!"

Then I remind myself that we don't technically need a special occasion to celebrate our marriage. We can make everyday special. Lucky for me, my heartthrob husband is wonderful about making me feel like a queen every day.  He showers me with sincere compliments and thoughtful gestures every day. He is my Prince Charming for all seasons, not just V-day. Take that, Cupid!

Here's a look of our love-notes we have had hanging up all month. They've been so wonderful to read each day! The house is filled with hearts in every room!




Today Nathan and I enjoyed a lunch date to a local Asian diner, then we purchased our anniversary gift together. I wanted a new Sunday suit for my man, because I have such a weak spot for men in dashing suits. I go weak in the knees every single Sunday when I see my husband emerge from our room dressed in his finest suit. His previous suit had been worn to bits and couldn't be patched anymore. (But 4 years of regular wear is not bad for the life of a suit, right?) Anyway, I am totally doing my happy dance over this gift. I can't wait to see him wear it on Sunday.

I couldn't fit everything I wanted to say to Nathan on a beensy little Hallmark card from the store, even though I tried.

Instead, I filled our bathtub with balloons.

The balloons are each filled with notes telling Nathan one of the things I love about him.

Matthew made a handy weapon for Nathan to wield in his quest of freeing the captive love notes. Matt taped thumbtacks to the end of a wooden ruler and left this carefully constructed weapon next to the card I wrote to accompany the balloons..


Here are a few of the notes from my list of  45 Things I Love About Nathan:

3- I adore your singing voice- it melts my heart

4-You look so cute when you hold the guitar in your lap, and your music is lovely

6- I love it when you cook with the kids and make them feel special

7-I love it when you brush my hair! It's so relaxing!

9- I love it when you rub my feet. You make me feel so special!

13- I love how you enjoy cuddling with Diego

14- I appreciate it when you lead our family in prayer or Family Home evening

15-I really love that you honor your priesthood- this means SO MUCH to me!

16- I love hearing your spiritual insights. You teach me so much!

17- I love hearing you bear your testimony to our family. Thank you for your good example!

21- I love the fact that you love my natural beauty instead of a face hidden behind makeup

22- I love hearing you play the piano and filling our home with real music

23- I love your ability to fix everything! I admire that so much!

24-I am so impressed at the way you teach yourself anything you want to learn. 

25- I admire your talent in writing poetry- thank you for sharing that with me!

26-I admire your incredible strength! You are SO strong it's amazing!

28- I love the way you make my heart melt with a cock of your eyebrow.

31- I love the way you treat me like a lady and open doors for me. Thank you!

32- I love the way you hold out your hand to help me out of a car. It never fails to make me feel like a princess descending from a carriage

33-I love it when you put your arm around me on the back of the church pew. It's so perfectly loving!

35- I love it when you tell me I'm beautiful. Thank you for boosting my confidence!

36- I love your sense of humor! You're fun to be around!

37-I love your laugh! It's so contagious!

38- I love working together outside in the morning with you! It's a great way to start my day!

39- I love the way you can design and build anything. 

40- I love the fact that you involve the kids in building projects. I will always remember their joy in working with you on the ladder for the treehouse.

41- I love your bread! Thank you for always making bread for our family to enjoy!

42- I love your flair in the kitchen. You have such talent for making dishes go from 'blah' to 'beautiful'

43- I love going to the temple with you and looking in your eyes in the Celestial Room.

44-I love your spiritual strength- you are often much more in tune to the Spirit than me. I truly admire that strength.

45- I will always remember each time you held one of our new babies in your arms. You steal my heart away when you gaze into their new tiny faces with such unbridled adoration and joy.

I love you, my darling!!

No comments: