For a Quick Reference

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hello Darkness My Old Friend


Dear Unwelcome Guest-

You arrived at my home unexpectedly several days ago after an absence of a year. I'll gladly confess, I am thankful you've been away so long.

I am normally happy to welcome friends into my home, but you make my heart quiver in fear. It doesn't make much difference that we've known each other for a long time. 

I'll grudgingly admit you have taught me a lot over the years.

You have taught me true humility as you've brought me to my knees in tears, begging Heavenly Father to take you away from my life.

You have taught me patience as I've realized during each visit that there isn't much I can do to send you on your merry way and leave me alone.

You have taught me to deeply appreciate the precious gift of healthy body as you've effectively crippled mine, stolen my vision and warped my ability to think.

You created within me a deeper desire to use my body to improve the world, encourage the people around me, reach out to others and serve my family more...because I can't do ANYTHING other than writhe in pain for hours on end when you hover over me. In my mind, I picture you rubbing your hands together in glee and laughing maniacally as you watch me suffer.

Even though I am honestly thankful for the things you've taught me, I still don't want you to visit. You aren't very considerate- you monopolize my life each time you stop by.

Unfortunately you never stop for a quick chat...you like to settle in for long afternoons together. 

You force me to ignore my family and bring all  my daily productivity to a grinding halt.

I feel so helplessly chained and trapped by you.




Why are we friends? 




I can't help it. 




I'm powerless to end our acquaintance no matter how much I loathe you. 

You are my hated ailment of migraines. 

You've kept me under your thumb for several days now. Please leave. 

Most sincerely,
Me


2 comments:

Gail said...

The last time I remember seeing you have a nasty migraine was about a year ago. We were at church in the mother's lounge and you were miserable.

I remember it was Cedar Fever season, which it is again now. Is there any possibility that your migraines are linked to seasonal allergies?

I'm sorry you've been suffering. Have you seen a neurologist?

Unknown said...

Gail- thank you for pointing out the correlation of my migraine frequency/season allergies. I'll try addressing the allergy issue and see if things improve!

Yes, I've seen a neurologist after a terrible migraine that lasted for a straight 72 hours. They tried all sorts of tests and brain scans, but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I guess it's just the way this body of mine works.