For a Quick Reference

Friday, August 31, 2012

Adventures at Arches National Park


I know what you're thinking. (Wait, didn't they do that trip in July? Is this old news?) 

Yup. 

I'm completely behind the times on this blog regarding our family's doings. 

Don't worry, I'm catching up!

Obligatory guilty explanation and sneak peak for upcoming posts: I've been so busy with lots of home-improvement projects/home organization/back-to-school shopping/time-demanding callings at church/SELLING OUR OLD HOUSE (The deal closes next week! Hallelujah!), so blogging admittedly slipped down the slippery slope of my priority list. But there's good news! This is almost the end of the summer pics! {This is where I do a little happy dance and cheer.}

Then you get to read all the exciting details of our poultry harvest day (killing a flock of roosters and having a Peruvian feast, plus the comical mishaps of the day), our memorable family traditions for starting the new school year, and lots of tutorials I made regarding how to refinish furniture and create unique and gorgeous organizers for the home. 

Until then, enjoy the pictures I snapped while hiking through the Arches National Park in Utah this summer. 


Nathan insisted on climbing the rock formations with Diego in tow. That man is part mountain goat! 

(Did I ever tell you about the time we were visiting ancient castles in Turkey and he scaled the walls with his bare hands?)


Sarah contemplates the scenery while working on the Junior Ranger program.




Some of the arches conveniently have stairs leading to them. Nice, right? What they didn't tell you was there are 200 of these babies leading up to the rock formation. 


Daniel sits on the edge of a cliff. 
(Yes, my heart was pounding- I'm afraid of heights. I was so scared he'd slip!)


Nathan surveys the landscape from the top of a cliff.

He always climbs someplace scary like this, then says, "Honey, come over here and take a picture!"

Do you realize what that means? It means I get the privilege of also clamoring over whatever path he took, trying to get close enough for a good shot, all the while holding my camera gingerly with one hand and trying to not look down. Fun.


The boys had a wonderful time, scaling rocks and calling out from new vantage points. This was the best sort of playground they could imagine.




The boys found a little cave up high on a tall rock formation. They pulled out their trusty binoculars and are looking for treasure.


Look at this cute arch that we found along one of our hikes!


No comments: