For a Quick Reference

Friday, June 22, 2012

The boys and Jane Austen


Last week in family prayer, Matthew said, "We thank Thee that we could watch Pride and Prejudice today."

Who could have guessed my boys would enjoy a six-hour Jane Austen movie? Not I.

I was floored to hear Matthew analyze the characters with Sarah.

Over the dinner table they had a debate discussing the following question: Who would make a better husband: Mr. Bingley or Mr. Darcy?

Matthew pointed out that Mr. Bingley was more at ease with people and therefore would have greater social prospects for their future family. Matthew also pointed out that Bingley is sincerely friendly and cheerful, unlike Darcy's frequent sour expressions and awkward conversations.

Sarah defended Mr. Darcy by saying his fortune was greater and his house more beautiful. She conceded that earthly wealth does not make a good husband, but pointed out Darcy's anonymous service and generosity as evidence of his good character. Her trump card was Miss Darcy, the younger sister. Georgiana Darcy is so friendly and kind, and Sarah was convinced she would be a delightful sister in law. "Besides," she stated in her closing argument, "No one is worth marrying if you have to be stuck with the Bingley sisters. They are so awful!"

Daniel agreed with everyone's arguments and couldn't decide which husband would be better.

Grinning sheepishly he said, "Luckily I don't really have to decide since they're not real. And I'm a boy anyway. I pick to marry Jane, she's the nicest."

I'm tickled that my children are learning to love one of my favorite stories from one of my favorite authors.

4 comments:

Jessica & Nathan said...

WOW! I love it!

Gail said...

That's awesome. I'm so proud, especially that Sarah's skills in literary criticism have developed so far.

I asked my Raleigh book club a similar question once: it was "rate all the marriages in the book from best to worse." My list went thus: Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner, Darcy and Elizabeth, Bingley and Jane, Mr. Collins and Charlotte (with the stipulation that it would get much worse after they had children), Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, and, coming in dead last, Wickham and Lydia.

Speaking of co-op classes and literary criticism, have you decided where your kids will attend school in the fall?

Unknown said...

@Gail- I'm still deliberating about it, but seriously leaning towards public school for a year. Shocking, I know. I think Sarah needs a break from having me teach her (and she would greatly benefit from the class setting and accountability to someone other than her mother).

That being said, it's still up to the Lord. One year we had decided all summer that the kids were public schooling. The night before the first day of school, I had a clear message from the Lord telling me to home school all of them.

SO- I never am completely sure what we're doing until the first day of school.

Unknown said...

@Gail- By the way- you are one of the very best co-op teachers I've seen. We were so blessed to have you teach Sarah last year! You are so gifted at teaching grammer in exciting ways! We will surely miss your creativity if we opt for the public school route!