For a Quick Reference

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bedtime Secrets

Perfectly kissable Diego toes

Confession time. 

I often struggle to be a positive mother.

I feel like I'm always battling the ugly witch inside of me, trying to keep her locked up and surrounded with flowers and sunshine in hopes of changing her bad attitude.

Sometimes it works.

Sometimes not. 


I am always praying for more wisdom in parenthood (heaven knows I am a fool most of the time!). I feel so blessed each time the Lord sends answers my way.


Last week in church I learned a precious gem of motherhood wisdom. It's nudged my parenting in the right direction (again...I often feel like I need to get back 'on track' with better parenting!) and improved my children's behavior. 

It's called the "Bedtime Secret".

At night when I tuck each child in bed, I tell them my secret. My secret is praise for something positive they did during the day.

A kind act. Good manners. Service to a sibling. Chores finished without being reminded. Whatever.

I have always tried to praise our kids throughout the day, but there's a different power when praise is given in the tender moments before sleep.

It's been such a blessing to our family. This week has been much more peaceful in our home.

I hope your day is beautiful...and, if necessary, surrounded with flowers and sunshine to charm your inner witch.

No comments: