For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Garden plans


I just ordered our seeds for the garden this year. So exciting. This is the best place to buy seeds, and they have the most unique collection of heirloom seeds from around the planet. (Absolutely NO GMO's allowed, it's not owned by Monsanto or Cargill, and they proactively preserve natural genetic diversity.) I haven't bought seeds anywhere else for years. I love curling up in a blanket each winter and perusing the seed catalogue. I can hardly wait to get the seeds in the mail.

Nathan and I started measuring spots and digging holes for our fruit orchard this week. (Chuckling....) Have you ever tried digging a hole in bedrock? I thought not. Most people have something called common sense and don't even attempt breaking up bedrock. We have about 6 inches of very rocky soil before we hit solid limestone. Erg. I'm trying to re-map our property plans or else figure out a way to coax baby fruit trees to grow in that soil...er....rock. I was feeling so disappointed after spending what seemed like hours digging and excavating rocks, only to have a beensy little hole to show for my efforts. I was even less excited at the prospect of attempting to grow a vegetable garden in this stuff. In our last house it took several years to build up healthy soil. We'd be starting at square one again (or negative one, if you count all the clearing we'd need to do before we could even work the soil....I was not excited to cut out tree stumps to make way for a vegetable plot.) I was feeling so flustered at this  point.

We walked around the property scouting out our options. Nathan experimentally dug a hole in the pasture so see how bad the rocks are. He dug....and dug.....and dug without even seeing a single rock. Oddly enough, the bedrock wasn't in sight either. How could there be such a drastic difference? I suspect the years of horse manure and oak leaves just naturally composted and created rich soil. There aren't even weeds for me to clear, and the spot seems perfect with morning light and afternoon shade. I'm giddy. 

It's time to get dirty.

No comments: