For a Quick Reference

Monday, August 30, 2010

Why do we home school?

Last week several of my friends were positively jumping for joy as their children shipped off to school. I'll admit that it was a bit bittersweet...I felt a twitch of envy as they excitedly talked about all the free time they were going to relish. While they were planning free time, I was planning curriculum purchases and comparing notes to discover the best extracurricular activities. I asked one friend what she planned to do with her 6 child-free hours each day. The answer? "Now I can watch movies in the morning!"

Everyday? Yep. Doesn't that sound a bit empty? You are honestly giving away your best hours of family time so you can....watch TV? Really? 

I realize home schooling isn't a perfect cup of tea, and honestly there are afternoons when I wish my children were somewhere other than by my side all day. Even with the inevitable bumps along the way, home schooling is such a wonderful way to live. Why did I choose to home school? Let's back up three weeks. Three weeks ago I was planning on entering our children in public school since Matthew is a very demanding student to teach. 

All summer long I had been planning great home improvement projects. I have a 3-piece couch set that has been waiting to be re-upholstered. I bought the fabric for it, and planned on doing it myself. As soon as the kids were in school. Our home flooded in the last really big storm, and the carpet smells bad. Carpet shampoo isn't going to fix it. I was saving money all summer to buy new flooring so I could rip out the carpet and install wood floors. Now that money has all been turned into home school supplies. I had oodles of memory books to put together for the children, boxes of papers to file away, etc. I was looking forward to a quiet home and afternoons cuddling with a book and sipping ginger tea. I also looked forward to volunteering more regularly at the local food bank and the library. What changed my plans?

My father-in-law once taught me a lesson when I was a brand-new mother. He said, "Renae, who have talent and a natural desire to improve the world around you. You could spend your entire life doing good things to serve society, but don't save the world and lose your family. There are too many people that serve all day in great societal causes, and neglect their family. No success compensates for failure in the home."  

There was a powerful moment for me a few weeks ago as I contemplated whether to home school or not. I thought of my ancestors. What do I know of them? How did they impact my life? I don't know what hobbies or furniture they had, or if the home was always tidy. I don't know if they wore fashionable clothing. What I do know is the kind of character they had. Their journals and life stories impact me in a powerful way by being an example of goodness. It's a powerful motivator to improve myself or face adversity with cheerfulness and determination, or do good by serving others. The way my ancestors impact me is also largely due to the way they raised their children, and the way those children grew up and raised me. The powerful character and virtues were passed from one generation to the next.

What will I be leaving my posterity? I realized that fancy furniture or even new flooring don't matter. The only lasting impression I will leave is how I raise my family. How can I touch the hearts of my children? 

For me, the best answer was to home school. It was a very tough decision. Why? I'm a perfectionist. I feel quickly overwhelmed by chaos or noise, and I really like having time to create art or read a big book. As I pondered this decision, I honestly had a mournful moment. I realize I was just being selfish, but I didn't want to give up the personal time I wanted to spend on myself. Still, I couldn't deny a persistent feeling that home school would be the best way for our children to be taught and nurture their creativity. 

My sweet Mr. Kingsley gets a hefty amount of home school credit. He teaches the children so many things after dinner each night. I'm so very thankful to have him as a teaching companion. I wish I had been blessed with teachers like him when I was a child. He has a natural enthusiasm that captures their attention and he's so patient. I'm so glad that our kids can have lasting memories of learning together as a family, strengthening our relationships as we embark into new intellectual horizons.



No comments: