For a Quick Reference

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nathan's poetry #2

(This next one he wrote about an experience when he tried to swallow a
pill and it became lodged in his mouth....it's pretty funny! It makes me think of Shel Silverstein's style of writing)

The daring young pharmaceutical...

"He'd fly through the air with the greatest of ease,That daring young
man on the flying trapeze."
--George Leybourne

   So feral and free,
   a grand sight to see,
a laugh ever found on his lips.
   With ease,
   he deftly commands the trapeze
as he somersaults, tumbles, and flips.

   No care on earth
   can hamper his mirth
as he dances, unfettered by all.
   Nor thought
   of the spot
he would make in his wake peradventure that he should fall.

   Freedom and speed
   are the hour's only need;
he mocks you- those bound to the ground.
   You hear him sneer
   as he flies past too near;
his cape makes a WOOSHING sound.

   Oh! But what's that?
   What appeared o'er the brat?
Water! It pours from the sky!
   Not rain, but a torrent,
   a Niagara-like current,
gushing from endless supply.

   Suddenly solemn
   'fore the mighty wet column,
our trapezist appraises his plight,
   Yawning beneath-
   a chasm with teeth
it seems. No circus in sight.

   Half drowned in the surge,
   but resisting the urge
to concede and so plunge down the maw.
   He dangles in dread
   as he hangs by a thread
in a cavern resembling a jaw.

   I choke and I gag,
   feel my uvula wag,
try to chug down the obstinate pill.
   Gulping a liter,
   a novice drug eater
perhaps; but I'll finish him still.

   Though nasty and bitter
   I'll not be a quitter,
determined to swallow my foe.
   Oh! My bad luck!
   How he ever got stuck
I'm sure I never will know.

No comments: