For a Quick Reference

Thursday, September 17, 2009

War of the worlds- My home against the world

This year we decided to do public school for Sarah and Matthew since my own Nursing classes are too demanding this year and prevent me from doing both my own school work and home school for the kids.

Sending them to public school is difficult for me. I disagree with the social problems inherent in the system. I feel like public school is just like the novel "Lord of the Flies", just masked within a building rather than the jungle. I don't like sending my kids there, even though the school itself is rated as academically 'exemplary'. The academics don't matter as much to me as the social lessons taught.

Public school is the perfect setting for training the country's next generation to be atheists and followers of the ruling crowd. In the words of Tom Paxton, "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine? I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong, that's what I learned in school." I am nervous about the power the school has to mold these young receptive minds to whatever agenda they see fit. School and government agendas are a discussion for another day, though.

I know I can't shelter my kids from the world forever, but my heart is full of sorrow for these sweet children who are exposed to the world. I don't want them to lose their innocence and sweet natures. I want to be like the mother hen, gathering my chicks under my wings to protect them in love while I sacrifice myself to bear the brunt of the world's attack. I feel the powers of Satan trying to encroach on my little family, and it makes me angry. I feel somewhat helpless, even though I know the powers of heaven are freely given to mothers in protecting the family. I want to do MORE.

Each day I build them up with love and spiritual strength, but it's just battered away through the course of the day in school. Each day I feel like I'm picking up what's left of their spiritual defenses and working that evening to add more bulwarks, anxiously engaged by candlelight deep into the evening.

Matthew had a boy in his class that was hitting him and constantly being rude and profane. Matthew would come home each day and tell me about this bully and say,"Mom, I'm trying so hard to love him, but it's hard to do." Or he'd say "I know Jesus loves him too, so I don't hit him back." or "I told him I'd tell the teacher, but he started to cry and I didn't want to hurt his feelings." What tender pride fills my heart at this, my little boy! Any struggle in parenting him is rewarded with these moments! I don't want him to have to deal with the dross of society. I can only hope that his example will light the way for the other kids. We talk every morning about being leaders in school by having a righteous and loving example. We ponder verses of the scriptures each day before leaving our home, and I really hope they add strength to the children's hearts.

I feel like my attitude in parenting has shifted. I feel a sense of urgency for developing my childrens' spiritual strengths. I know Satah does not sleep, and does not rest in his scheming against us. I have to make every moment count that I have with my children. I have to be always aware of the world's barbs and prepare the children to be as defended as possible.

We've purchased a CD player for the children's bedroom and we play audio books for them after we do family prayers. We had been playing stories of Greek myths and classic works of literature (Charles Dickens, O. Henry, Shakespeare, and the like). Now I feel more drawn to playing audio scripture stories, the very best in classic literature.

We have spiritual discussions more often now and the children are understanding the sanctity of the home more. They tell me the contrast they see between the settings of school and home. They see the home as inreasingly valuable, a haven of peace and happiness. I hope one benefit of doing public school is a more unified home, a view of us as a team. I don't know if it's worth the cost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* I'm so sorry this has been such a hard change for your family. You're a great mom and have great kids and this school year won't last forever. I know that you're being blessed for all the effort you are putting in to making your home a zion.

Kathryn said...

Renae this was an interesting read. I am amazed at everything you do to keep your children in the right way. Keep up your good work and the Lord will compensate! You are such an amazing example to us all. Thank you for sharing this experience!

Shelley Bowman said...

Wow I'm so glad that Scott is still too young for school but remember they also need to be tested to become stronger. Only the refiners fire can strengthen them and giving them all you do at home is a great arsenal! They will be so strong with you on their side! Keep up the good work :) and pass on any tid bits to mothers who have 2 years to before I send my little one off! Wow that seems like such a short time I have left :(
PS I almost cried at your little guys comments on the bully!
PS how's that novel coming? :)