For a Quick Reference

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas letter

This is for all you who I don't have addresses for. I love reading other people's Christmas letters. If you don't enjoy it, then skip this post. :)

Dear family and friends,

Well, Nathan quit his job of 6 years at National Instruments, we sold our house and are moving to a commune in Texas to grow organic food, raise animals, and live in peace with the universe. Ok, maybe not . . . changed our minds once we realized there was no indoor plumbing. Anyway we wanted to start this letter with something more interesting than the obligatory "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" (Oops! It still got in!).

For those of you thinking, “Renae, your Christmas letter is the most exciting part of our Christmas and we look forward to it with glee and anticipation”--you flatter me too much! Ok, this section's for you, the usual facts of the kids, animals, highlights of the year- or as Nathan says, “the blah blah blah part”. You're welcome to skip this part and jump to the “with love” part if you like.


Sarah- turned six and chose to go to the Children's Museum for her birthday. She's doing home school and piano lessons this year. Her first recital was this year, she played 'O Come All Ye Faithful'. She loves reading and art, and is always begging me to give her art lessons. She's been very responsible this year. An example was when I left the family for a 2 week vacation. She very seriously told Nathan “Well, I packed you lunch for you. Someone has to be the Mom, so I did it. I also fed and dressed the boys.” She loves reading the American Girls and Pony Pals series.


Matthew- turned four this year and discovered that he loves math. A favorite part of the holidays for him was helping Nathan put together a 1000 piece puzzle. He was surprisingly good. He's also really developed his compassionate side this year, as shown by the number of times he's given away his toys to someone sad or given all his candy away when someone else didn't have any.


Daniel- turned two this year and cares only about trains and sugar. He's very social and is definitely a comedian. He loves the center of attention and will do anything to make people laugh. He knows he's cute, as shown recently when Nathan told Sarah that she's the cutest girl around. He replied, “No! Me cutest! Me cutest!”


Nathan- discovered talents for playing the guitar and harmonica this year. He shaved his head for Halloween so I could paint the entire surface. That was a big deal. ;) He's been so supportive of me this year, I'd be lost without him. He made a Thanksgiving meal for 20 guests this year almost single-handedly.


Renae- I started Nursing school this year and am immersed with homework and studies. I'm currently scoring straight A's. That about sums it up for me!


Animals- the count is 1 huge dog, 6 chickens, 3 giant rabbits.


Garden- dead. There wasn't time left for 'extra' hobbies after home school and my own homework.


Year highlights- Family trip to Georgia, my trip to Nauvoo and Idaho, visiting relatives, home school field trips to Sea World and Pioneer Heritage Farm.My sister lived with us for the past year before going on her mission to Japan; that was priceless.


We love you all very much! Merry Christmas!!

With love, Nathan, Renae, Sarah, Matthew, Daniel

No comments: