For a Quick Reference

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

February sealing with dear friends

So many things were missed that I need to record. Now that the overwhelming craziness of our over-scheduled Spring is over, it's catch-up time.

In February I was blessed with the privilege of attending the temple sealing of two dear friends in our neighborhood, Roman and Yasuko Atkinson. I have been Yasuko's visiting teacher for several months, and it's been such a deep delight to serve her and teach her. Any time I stopped by- whether for an appointment of an unannounced surprise visit- they eagerly welcomed me with enthusiasm and treated me as a guest of honor.

Our souls have connected in such deep, meaningful ways as we've discussed the teachings of Jesus Christ, and our hearts were truly knit together as one.Every time I visited her home, my heart felt like it would just burst from overflowing with so much love for this sweet little lady. Her Japanese accent was thick, requiring concentration on my part to understand what she said....but our conversations were so wonderful. She was learning the gospel and was so eager to come closer to God. The Spirit was always so very powerful when I was in her home, and I learned so much in the hours I served her.

She was always so gracious and welcoming, and eager to have company over for a visit. I took great delight in dropping off flowers to brighten their kitchen table, or loaves of homemade bread, or gifts of homemade soap. She showed me her large collection of Japanese dolls, her photo albums of Japan, pictures of her family, and shared memories of Roman courting her as a young serviceman after WW2. She adored Joseph and loved it anytime I brought him along, and she asked to take him out to lunch for a special date.

We were such good friends, and I was delighted beyond words when they were ready to attend the temple for the first time. Nathan generously offered to take the day off work so he could watch Joseph, allowing me the chance to attend the temple ceremony sealing Yasuko and Roman as eternal companions. The 2-hour drive to San Antonio was long, but I was happy to have the chance to be a part of their special day. At the temple there were only 4 people there to share the special moment, so I was doubly happy to be there. The ceremony itself was beautiful and emotion-filled as this marriage of 50 years was finally made an eternal one to last beyond the chains of death. I had thought to bring along my camera and take 'wedding' pictures afterwards. They looked so lovely in their white temple clothing.


Yasuko later told me she had never had a white wedding dress or even a wedding. They had been originally married in a short civil service in a courthouse. Being sealed to her husband in the beautiful surroundings of the temple while wearing a white dress held special significance for her and fulfilled a long-held wish held close to her heart. Oh what dear friends these good people are to me!

After the temple ceremony, Roman invited us to join them for lunch in celebration. I couldn't refuse their kind offer as Yasuko implored me to accept. They took us to a very nice steak restaurant decorated in rustic Texan antiques and stuffed longhorn cattle looking down with glass eyes. It was rather pricey, and I wondered how much they'd have to pinch and scrape by in the coming weeks to cover this bill from their regular budget. After ordering the smallest salad on the menu, I enjoyed  lovely conversation and laughter as the hour ticked away.


I needed to leave a bit earlier than everyone else, so I said my good-byes and -when they weren't looking- I ducked into the opening of the kitchen where I was out of their line of sight. I nearly bumped into our waitress, and sheepishly explained that I needed to hide while I spoke with her. I asked her to let me pay for the dinner as a wedding gift to the happy couple, and hastily scrawled a note of congratulations for her to give them instead of the bill. After one last peek at my glowingly happy friends I sneaked out the back door. What a delight it was to surprise them that way!

As I write this sitting in Utah- my heart aches and I actually cry when I think that I'll likely never see them again in this life. What dear, sweet people they are. I feel so privileged that I am able to call them friends, and I look forward very much to seeing them again- most likely in the next world. What a comfort it is to know that friendships continue past the grave. What a joyful reunion it will be!

No comments: