For a Quick Reference

Friday, February 27, 2015

It's raining blessings

Here is a five-minute exercise is gratitude. What am I grateful for today?

A bed to sleep in
A warm wool blanket on cold nights like last night
My darling husband who is drop-dead gorgeous, smart, loving, romantic, poetic, etc.
Nathan makes me laugh every day.
The tickle wars I shared with Joseph this morning.
Joseph's kissably soft cheeks that beg for attention.
Joseph's enthusiastic, full-body laugh.
The baby goats we played with yesterday in the feed store.
A reliable form of transportation for our family.
I have a warm home.
I have scriptures to read any time I want.
Technology is amazing; my tablet has all the General Conference talks I wish to read.
I've loved learning to swing dance with Nathan at night after the kids are in bed.
My kids make me laugh every day*.
Music that fills my home.
The old oak trees that surround my home. They give my heart a thrill every time I look out a window.
Our tire swing where children spend quiet moments under the boughs of my favorite tree.
A healthy body that can work hard each day.
I can exercise and enjoy the feeling of my muscles moving.
I can read- oh how thankful I am for that gift!!!
A camera to capture these fleeting moments of childhood.
Prophets who guide us today with God's word.
Dear friends of many different faiths- I love living in the Bible belt!
Temples and the sacred saving ordinances we can do inside.
The books recording the stories of my ancestors. I love having a link to our past.
Prayer. Oh heavens, I am grateful for prayer. I seek it often.
Christ's Atonement. It's a miracle that will never cease to amaze me.  I am such a beasty brat, and need all the cleansing power I can get.
Grandparents who love my children and tell them as such.
My eyes can see the beautiful things around me, like the sweet smiles of my children.
Nathan's creative cooking feeds my body and soul, making my taste buds sing in pleasure.
My ears can hear the lovely music Nathan creates, laughter, birds, and family's voices.
Our property is so beautiful and wild. I love what I see.
My kids attend a great school. I'm so thankful for the teachers and staff that educate them.
My art studio that allows me to earn an income on my own turf, on my own schedule.
Dear friends in our neighborhood and church who insist on seeing the best in me.
My children are healthy and their minds are whole.
Church leaders and other friends who help teach my children how to follow Christ.


Someone had challenged me to do this- spend five minutes and just write down all the blessings that came to my mind; the little things that give me joy. What a delightful exercise it was! The Lord is indeed very generous to me, and showers me with blessings. I hope your day is similarly filled with gratitude.

*Which reminds me of yesterday's funny moment. We were in Hobby Lobby getting supplies for my art classes and this happened:

Joseph: (Giggling and whispering) Mom, I just  passed gas!
Mom: (Distractedly murmuring while reading paint labels) Lovely.
Joseph: (shocked and raising his voice loudly) Lovely? LOVELY?! Passing gas isn't lovely, Mom! It's gross! (Turning to the rest of the store and cupping his hands around his mouth to amplify his words) Hey everyone! My mom thinks passing gas is LOVELY!

Good times.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Haha :) I love Joseph's love of life and enthusiasm! I love that you share those moments with us!