For a Quick Reference

Monday, December 15, 2014

Creative Projects and December Little Things

This month has been lovely. I've been on a creative high all month, sewing homemade gifts like crazy. 

There was an upholstery shop nearby cleaning out a barn full of fabric remnants and scraps, so I filled my van with boxes of fabric and shared them with friends. My van was literally packed. The seats were all pushed down and boxes filled every nook and cranny all the way up to the ceiling. The boxes filled our parlor floor. Sarah was delighted to explore the boxes with me, oohing and aahing over the gorgeous prints. It was a bit like Christmas to open each box since we had no idea what we would find inside. There were silks, satins, velvets, leathers, and more. 

Most of it was material I didn't have a use for, but we did find some gems of the right material and large enough to work with. I kept a box of our favorite pieces, and now I'm transforming some of them into almost-free gifts. It's such fun! I can't wait to finish the projects and share pictures! (I can't post anything specific until after Christmas since my daughter likes to hop on here once in a while and read the blog.) I'm creating several different gifts and am just giddy over them. It's been so delightful to sew so frequently this month. I love to put on a good BBC documentary or TED Talk to listen to while I work. It's such a pleasant way to spend a morning and afternoon the days when Joseph is at preschool. 

I finally finished an impressionistic painting I created with one of the painting classes I teach. I didn't have time to finish mine in the class hours, since I spend most of my time helping the students. So I always have a dozen or so mostly-finished paintings around the studio. One night after tucking kids in bed, I spent a delightful hour finishing this one off.



I really love the abstract nature of this piece! It was such a delight to create!  

I love being able to paint in a quiet house with just my thoughts for company. I like to hum and sing while I paint. This is the type of relaxation that feeds my soul. 


This month has been so lovely to focus on the Christmas season. We have enjoyed many things. Last weekend the children and I worked on a large Christmas puzzle together while chatting and enjoying a veggie tray and cookies. Nathan started cooking up Christmas candies and made delicious fugdes. (Oh! We discovered a new treat so delicious it should be illegal. Make up a cup of hot cocoa, then drop in a piece of homemade fudge and stir it up. The melted fudge makes the cocoa super creamy and rich! The nuts float, and add a delightful crunch!)

Nathan plays Christmas carols on his guitar while the children and I sing and dance and have a lovely time. I love to snuggle with our children on the couch and read our favorite Christmas stories. I love the sentimental stories that tug at my heartstrings. Usually my older children roll their eyes at these stories, but this year Sarah said these are her favorite Christmas stories of all. Our favorites are- The Christmas Dress for Ellen, The Shiniest Star, The Carpenter's Gift, and Christmas Oranges.

Last Friday I took the children to a local retirement home and performed carols for the residents. Several families from church had come together to perform, so it was a group of about 20 children singing. The residents were so enthusiastic in their applause, and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves.


After the performance, we mingled with the audience to chat and make new friends. Oh it was so wonderful! My heart was filled with love for the people I met. I remembered how much I enjoyed volunteering at my local nursing home during my teen years. I used to volunteer weekly in the Alzheimer's Unit and loved hearing the stories these people shared. I get such a thrill from hearing the memories that make a person who they are today. I really enjoyed our conversations that day and felt like our hearts were connecting with these new friends.

Joseph was a total ham, running up to people all over the place. He'd give them an enthusiastic, tight hug and gleefully wish them a Merry Christmas. Little old ladies would hug him close and say, "Oh you darling! Don't ever leave!"

I'm so grateful for our friends who took the time to organize this event. It was so delightful to serve others and we were so happy to join in the fun.

No comments: