For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Back to School Feast

Last year we totally missed this tradition, so this year I needed to make it a priority. I'm not the type that enjoys cooking or planning events, but for some reason I really got into this project. My soul needed a creative outlet that was fun and simple. Sometimes when I begin a painting, I get too perfectionist about the details or color quality. As a result, the painting experience is stressful instead of fun. So. This feast was going to be a fun way I could express my creativity, and it wouldn't matter if I botched it all up.

I actually really enjoyed making the decorations. For a budget-friendly way to make things look special, I made paper buntings to spread across our dining hutch and fireplace mantle. Scrapbook paper was on sale this week, so it only cost a couple of dollars to make three large buntings. I simply love the colors! I adore anything bright and cheerful!


For the pomp poms, I bought some tulle and followed some easy tutorials online. These were pretty easy to make, and I love the way they look. I chose colors that would work well for future birthday parties so I can re-use these several times. If I use them for a boy party, the pink poms will just stay hidden in their bag. Blue, yellow, and white are pretty boyish colors, so they'd be fine decor. I chose the particular shade of turquoise blue to match Sarah's favorite color, so I can use these for her parties as well. Sweet.


The crowns were so fun to make, and the kids were so excited to see their special crowns waiting for them at the dinner table. This year there was a lot of glitter...that was the funnest part for me. I may have an unhealthy obsession with glitter...maybe because I do glitter tattoos? I pulled out the tattoo supplies and let the kids pick their own glitter colors, which they thought was really fun. (Although when there are 100 colors to choose from, sometimes it gets tricky. I have a dozen shades of red, but which one is the best red? Some are slightly orange, or slightly pink or slightly purple. Matt agonized over them a bit, trying to pick out the most true red color.)





Nathan cooked up a storm all day and created the most amazing food for our feast. It was such a delight to the senses! He made several plates of delicious appetizers to start the meal of with a bang. This is what he made: Mushroom and pepper mini-quiche, crostini from a homemade baguette with roasted swiss, tomato, and fresh basil; open-face cucumber sandwiches on homemade wheat bread, and sweet-and-spicy jalapeno bites with cream cheese. Delish!




 

The main meal itself was tantalizing. Glazed carrots, duchess potatoes, chicken cordon bleu with a mornay sauce, and roasted brussel sprouts in a balsamic reduction sauce. Yummers! What a feast! I'm so thankful for a husband who enjoys cooking! What a blessing he is!




Dessert was a delightfully tart lemon cake topped with a citrus glaze and fresh strawberries.


During dinner we talked about our goals for the upcoming school year, and introduced our family theme for the year. We hope to memorize it and recite it each week as part of our Family Home Evening routine. This year our theme is from the book of Matthew: 

Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father, which is in heaven. 

We talked about their priceless individual worth, and reminded them that they are a child of God full of talents and potential. We reminded them that everyone else they meet is also a child of God, and should be treated with respect and love. 

I hope our children will remember this tradition as time goes by. I try to create a strong family identity that they will always carry with them. 

This week we had a conversation about family identities, and I asked how we could describe our family. This is what we came up with:

The Kingsley family is 
happy to serve the Lord, 
loves to learn, 
enjoys good food, and 
creates fun family memories.





No comments: